Old Ale Old Bastard Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmdubb23

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days 70 F
Tasting Notes
Great Malty Flavor, well Balanced bitterness Excellent Drinking Beer
Grain Bill:

11.5 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Chocolate Malt 350 SRM

Mash @ 155 for 60 minutes
Continuous Sparge until 6.5 gallons of wort are collected

Hop Bill:
1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60
.5 oz Fuggle @ 10

Cool Pitch Yeast WLP002 English Ale and wait
I force carbed this to about 2.6. It turned out great, smooth drinking with a nice full flavor. Ill post pics next time I brew, this only lasted on the keg for 4 days.:drunk:

Looks great! Few questions, how prominent was the chocolate malt here? Did you do any aging? I'm trying to get a similar recipe ready for the holidays so aging will be out of the question for me

Nothing more than a week or two, the chocolate malt wasnt too prevalent, it provides a nice flavor balance with the crystal, I am going to do this one again in a couple batches.

Brewed this up back in February. Extract recipe
9lbs light dme
.75lbs chocolate
1lb crystal 60
.25lbs crystal 50
.50lbs cara pils
1.5 oz East Kent Golding @60 min
.5oz East Kent Golding @10 min
Us-04 yeast.

Toasted 1oz of jack daniels smoking chips in oven @350 for 20 min. Soaked them in Jim beam for a week(13.5oz). Added to secondary let it sit on oak and bourbon for 2 weeks.
Turned out awesome. Perfect amount of oak and bourbon ( for my taste sampled daily after a week on oak and bourbon to hit the sweet spot for bottling). Chocolate not over powering. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this up back in February. Extract recipe
9lbs light dme
.75lbs chocolate
1lb crystal 60
.25lbs crystal 50
.50lbs cara pils
1.5 oz East Kent Golding @60 min
.5oz East Kent Golding @10 min
Us-04 yeast.

Toasted 1oz of jack daniels smoking chips in oven @350 for 20 min. Soaked them in Jim beam for a week(13.5oz). Added to secondary let it sit on oak and bourbon for 2 weeks.
Turned out awesome. Perfect amount of oak and bourbon ( for my taste sampled daily after a week on oak and bourbon to hit the sweet spot for bottling). Chocolate not over powering. Thanks for the recipe.

Glad you liked it, I never thought of a bourbon soak... I bet it was amazing

I have a question I'm gonna brew this this weekend and I've never brewed with chocolate, when do I add the chocolate malt? I'm guessing I add it with the other malts but I'm not shure? Also what is the target for OG/FG?

You would just throw the chocolate in with the other grains when mashing. If doing an extract batch just steep them. The original recipe for a 5 gal batch comes out to an OG of 1.071 when I entered it into brewers friend recipe builder. I added more Extract to mine to make it stronger. 1.091 got down to 1.022-24 can't remember exactly.

Back