old barrel style with the plug in the side keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
Is this style keg worth converting to a keggle? the one i have access to is aluminum and before i spend any time on it, does anyone use one of these styles for a keggle

I can see how the dip tube chamber at the bottom is perfect for the spigot hole, and the plug in the side is about the right depth for a thermometer, but the keg getting wider at the middle makes me wonder how well that will heat.

Thanks in advance for the info!

SixFoFalcon said:
I've never seen one in aluminum. You sure it's not stainless?

As thick as the walls are on this thing, it's about as heavy as my corney kegs... It just doesn't feel heavy enough to be stainless. it is stamped from pabst brewery.

Dycokac said:
As thick as the walls are on this thing, it's about as heavy as my corney kegs... It just doesn't feel heavy enough to be stainless. it is stamped from pabst brewery.
I'm not certain that they ever made Al kegs, I could be wrong, but if I were a brewery stainless is the less expensive option. It costs more up front, but they will last three times longer. That is that they will take a lot more punishment. Kegs are expensive to buy in any mettle. Stainless by the way it fairly strong, so it need not be all that heavy. Put a grinder to it, if it is Al, it will clog the wheel, if it is stainless, it will spark some and will not clog the wheel.

As for the first question, I don't see why not. I think that regular sanky's are preferred because they do not have a hole half way up, but it isn't anything that can't be fixed. A small piece of SS welded in to patch it, or put a pipe fitting in and use it for a Temperature well... I could think of some more ideas, but I think you have the picture. Good luck. S.

maybe i'll give it a try, my main concern was it being wider at the middle than the base. As long as it sparks with a grinder on it :)

I just got one of these for free and I am in the works of making it into a RIMS mash tun. I was also concerned that it was aluminum. I took it to my friend who is a welder and knows a lot about metallurgy. He cut the top off with a plasma and tried to weld a small piece of aluminum to it. On the theory that the filler metal from the tig welder would not give a good weld to SS. Vola! It did not stick and thus it's stainless steel. My friend is going to weld the bung on the side closed. I love that it has the part on the bottom that's raised to hold the false bottom up. Good luck.

Back