Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
Something has recently come to my attention that bugs me a bit.

In America, as is my understanding, Oktoberfest style beers are brewed as Lagers.

However, over the last few weeks I have tried Hacker Pshorr's and Paulaner's Oktoberfests, and on the bottles, they are listed as ales.

Was this style of beer traditionally brewed as an ale?

I have been scouring the internet but I haven't been able to find anything.

In America, as is my understanding, Oktoberfest style beers are brewed as Lagers.

However, over the last few weeks I have tried Hacker Pshorr's and Paulaner's Oktoberfests, and on the bottles, they are listed as ales.

The labeling laws in many states require a beer over 5% alc. to be labeled as ALE or Malt liquor.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

some breweries, like magic hat (they make a beer called Ourtoberfest) make an octoberfest style beer that isn't the traditional lager but rather an amber ale or something different. the traditional oktoberfest beer is a lager.

Was this style of beer traditionally brewed as an ale?

I have been scouring the internet but I haven't been able to find anything.

What ClaudiusB said. You haven't been scouring hard enough. Those beers are lagers. The breweries are probably saving time, money and effort so that they can use one label in all 50 states, even the ones with the asinine alcohol laws that define any beer over a certain ABV as an ale.

Back