Oktoberfest recipe critique requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, very close to mine IMO (so of course I would think it looks good). It'll be slightly different than mine though, with those different percentages. Brew it up, we'll swap.

Well, that's what I was thinking. Didn't want to do it *exactly* how you did. Of course, my process will be different, but still.

You and SpeedYellow have a very similar idea as to what needs to happen, so I figured that I would go with that. Be super simple. If I want to tweak a bit, by golly, there's not many variables at play here.

Wanted to make a quick report - I brewed the recipe yesterday, and it went very well.

I did end up doing about a 120 minute boil instead of the planned 90; I still don't have my boiloff rate locked in perfectly. Fortunately, I realized this and hold off my 20 minute hop addition until there were actually 20 minutes left. Yeah, the bittering addition boiled 90 minutes, but I should have barely changed the IBUs.

I did hit my gravity exactly - my sample was a fuzz over 1.062 @ 82 degrees, with a hydrometer calibrated for 60 degrees. Correction sticks me at 1.065, which is exactly the gravity of the recipe.

Ground water is 80 degrees here, so 15 minutes with the immersion chiller took it from boiling to 90 degrees, 5 more minutes only got me to 86. I dumped it in the carboy and stuck it in my mini fridge overnight. Pitched yeast this morning @ 56 degrees (WLP820 wants to ferment as 52-58 degrees, and I have my fridge set for 52).

I am pretty stoked. Wort smelled and tasted great... man, do I hope that this beer turns out well!

So how did it turn out? I am going to brew an Oktoberfest this coming march for use at my daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner this September. I really don't want to screw this up.l

So how did it turn out? I am going to brew an Oktoberfest this coming march for use at my daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner this September. I really don't want to screw this up.l

Well, life and the holidays got in the way, and I ended up lagering this beer until January. It's been in bottles about two and a half weeks, now... I plan to open one this weekend and see if I have carbonation yet.

That being said, the gravity sample tasted absolutely amazing! If carbonation treats it well (no reason to think otherwise), I am going to be ecstatic over how good this beer is. It's not as red as I was hoping - more of an amber - but it's definitely deliciously malty, with a bit drier finish that I had expected (finished at 1.012!).

If you want to read it (and see a pic or two), I did a full blog entry on bottling the Oktoberfest.

I'll report back as soon as I have confirmed the carbonated taste.

Pro tip...bottle using at least one PET bottle so you can tell when the beer is carbonated.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just as a follow up... I had the first bottle of this. Beautiful, thick, fluffy head. Lacing like crazy, a cap of foam that lasts forever.

Beer is a gorgeous dark red, but clear as a bell... so much for trusting that gravity sample for color. Beer is malty and delicious, nice complexity, decently dry finish with just a touch of diacetyl slickness. Similar to the Sam Adams interpretation, but not as sweet.

If I picked up a sixer of this commercially, I'd be very happy with it.

This is a great thread, very informative. Lots of different ways to brew this style and it's kind a confusing to me figuring out the differences between Oktoberfest, Marzen and Vienna lagers.

I'm going to brew a 60% pils, 30% Munich with a touch of Aromatic and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is a great thread, very informative. Lots of different ways to brew this style and it's kind a confusing to me figuring out the differences between Oktoberfest, Marzen and Vienna lagers.

I'm going to brew a 60% pils, 30% Munich with a touch of Aromatic and see what happens.

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that, for all intents and purposes, Oktoberfest is essentially the exact same thing as Märzen - the distinction being that a traditional Oktoberfest is brewed in March and lagered all summer to be enjoyed in the fall.

The differences between Märzen and Vienna lager are fairly subtle; they are both subcategories of category 3 (European amber lager). Vienna lagers are a little lower in gravity and body, and should be likewise lighter and more delicate in flavor - but they definitely have a fair amount in common.

At any rate, do report back and let us know how it goes. I would love to play with these styles again and again, but my schedule and lack of capacity limits me to a couple of lagers per year.

Brewed it up yesterday, everything went well, probably too well, my efficiency was in the 90's so my FG ended up a little high at 1.060. SRM looks to be 6-7, nice deep gold color, should be a good beer. I'll post pics of the final product and give a review.

It's that time of year. I thoroughly enjoyed this thread last year, and brewed something closer to the American version (5% caramunich, SRM near 10 with lots of Munich and Pils for the rest) for 2013. This year, I'm baby-stepping closer to the German fest beer, planning to brew this weekend.

Here's what I have for this year's batch:

70% Pilsner
17% Vienna Malt
13% Munich Malt

Bittering addition of Magnum, and a 30 minute Tettnang addition for 27 IBU.

Using Wyeast Munich Lager (2308 ).

OG: 1.053
5.1 SRM

Mash at 152.

Anyone brewed a German-style Ofest like this? Or should I just call this a Dortmunder Export? ;)

Indeed, that sounds good. I've messed around with 3 lager yeasts now 830, 833, and 838 (same as the 2308). All decent, but I prefer the 833. Probably stick with it for all my lagers. 830 was good, just slower. 838 wasn't as malty.
Keep us posted on the beer, and keep the ferment temps low. I like the grain bill.

Thanks. Will do.

I usually ferment lagers 48-50. Sound about right?

Sounds great! I pitch at 46 then set my regulator to 48... then use a quick lager method so I'm drinking it about a month later (see sig for link). Your recipe looks good, I might move the 30 min addition to 20 just to retain a touch more flavor, but either way...

Well I'm 3 weeks out from the wedding I brewed this for and I'm very happy with my results. I designed my own recipe which I will try to attach a picture of the ingredient list from Beer Smith which I used to tweek things around until the beer matched the so called "style". Tastes fantastic very mild bittering with a crisp finish. Slight malty taste just like I like my Oktoberfest. Will definitely make this again maybe even give it a permanent handle on my keezer.

image.jpg

Well I'm 3 weeks out from the wedding I brewed this for and I'm very happy with my results. I designed my own recipe which I will try to attach a picture of the ingredient list from Beer Smith which I used to tweek things around until the beer matched the so called "style". Tastes fantastic very mild bittering with a crisp finish. Slight malty taste just like I like my Oktoberfest. Will definitely make this again maybe even give it a permanent handle on my keezer.

Sounds great.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been lagering? I've been mostly an ale brewer, but done several lagers in a row now. They seem to vary in time required to being "ready". I'm about to pull my Ofest from the fridge and do the d-rest on it. Guessing I'm 2 months off from drinking it still.

Brewed March 10th 4 days @ 54 rack to secondary then 10 days @ 54 then raised to 60 for tertiary for 4 days then lowered 2 degrees per day until I got it to 35 degrees. Lagered at 35 from April 2nd until July 6th.

Here's what I have for this year's batch:

70% Pilsner
17% Vienna Malt
13% Munich Malt

Bittering addition of Magnum, and a 30 minute Tettnang addition for 27 IBU.

Using Wyeast Munich Lager (2308 ).

OG: 1.053
5.1 SRM

Mash at 152.

This turned out tremendous. I would not change a thing, and honestly want to brew it year round and keep it on hand at all times.

Back