Oktoberfest lager fermentation very slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdwolfe273

Reaction score
I brewed two all grain 5 gallon batches of Oktoberfest. This is my first lager. They have been fermenting in my fridge for 18 days at about 48 to 50 degrees. Starting gravity for one batch is 1.057 and the other was 1.059 (I ended up having a more efficient mash than I expected which I was happy about). I used 2 re-hydrated packs of Saflager Lager yeast (W-34/70) in each 5 gallon batch (4 packs total). It was extremely hot out so it was hard to cool the wort and I ended up pitching the yeast at a higher temp of 70-75 degrees, shook the buckets to aerate, and threw the fermenting buckets in the fridge right after.

After 18 days one of the batches is now at 1.019 and the other is at 1.029. They both taste awesome...but even with lagers having slower fermentation, I was expecting them to be further along. My FG is supposed to be around 1.012. I checked the fridge temp and it is accurate, checked the hydrometer and it is accurate as well.

I have read some other threads and not exactly sure if I should do anything other than wait another two weeks and hope it goes down. Should I consider grabbing another packet of yeast and throwing in half a packet more into each bucket? :confused: I am really hoping these get finished up so I can do a diacetyl rest and drop the temp to lager for a couple weeks before the end of September. :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

What temp did you mash at? What temp have you been fermenting at? Also, you didn't mention it, but presumably you have a temperature controller?

Mashed at 150-151 F. Yeast were rehydrated. Fermentation has been at 48-50 F. And chest freezer has a Johnson temp controller on it and I use a wireless thermostat to monitor the temp to make sure the controller is working right.

Mash temperature is not the issue.

Fermentation temperature is not the issue--I've used 34/70 well under 50 degrees with no problems.

Provide more details on your grain bill, mashing procedure, and rehydration process. Be very specific. How old was the yeast? How was it stored?

For each 5 gallon batch the grain bill was: 8oz caramunich, 1lb dark munich, 5lbs light munich, 5lbs german pilsner.

Mashed in 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with 15.5 qt of water at about 151 F for 60 minutes. Batch sparged at 170 F with about 4.4 gallons of water.

Rehydration process...boiled about 1.5 cups water then cooled to room temp in sanitized glass, tossed 2 packs of yeast and shook up then let it sit for about 15 minutes and stirred up again just before tossing into the wort. Yeast was purchased a week before brewing at local homebrew store and I can't remember the exact date on it, but I remember checking and it wasn't too old at all. Kept in fridge at 48 degrees until I used it.

I can't see anything wrong there. Except missing some Vienna ;)

I don't like what you did for rehydration (take a look at the product sheet for proper procedure) but can't see it causing that big of a problem, especially since you pitched warm and the slurry and wort temps would have been nearly the same.

Your diacetyl rest should take place during active fermentation. The 1.019 beer is at the perfect stage to d-rest and you won't hurt anything with the other one by starting a d-rest now. Bump the temp in your fridge up to a minimum of 60; in the interest of really encouraging things to finish up I personally would go to 70. I would also consider rousing the yeast to help things get done; it may not help but is easy and shouldn't hurt anything.

Get back to us a week after you have done that. The next step may be more yeast for the 1.029 beer if it doesn't move further, but I suspect it will. Consider the 1.019 beer done one way or the other; especially given that you had a high OG and you like the flavour. It's supposed to be malty anyway.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing with the 1.019...was definitely more concerned about the 1.029. I will post back in about a week and let you know. Out of curiosity, any advice/links to good yeast re-hydrating sources?

Even if the fermentation doesn't get too much further than 1.019 I won't be too upset. It is for my annual Oktoberfest party (first time brewing the beer for it) and I don't really need everyone getting as loaded as they did last year plus there will be plenty of beer (still have to brew the bavarian hefe and kolsch). It wasn't fun last year patching up the hole in my wall.... :drunk:

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing with the 1.019...was definitely more concerned about the 1.029. I will post back in about a week and let you know. Out of curiosity, any advice/links to good yeast re-hydrating sources?

Even if the fermentation doesn't get too much further than 1.019 I won't be too upset. It is for my annual Oktoberfest party (first time brewing the beer for it) and I don't really need everyone getting as loaded as they did last year plus there will be plenty of beer (still have to brew the bavarian hefe and kolsch). It wasn't fun last year patching up the hole in my wall.... :drunk:

Hmmm...sounds like some of your friends might be some of my friends!

Here's a link to the 34/70 product sheet. Every manufacturer has one for every yeast. Sometimes they call for different rehydration procedures. I recently used Notty and the instructions were different from Fermentis' (manufacturer of Safale and Saflager) instructions.

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Saflager_W-3470_HB.pdf

Bad news....checked today and a little more fermentation happened, but definitely not much. They are at about 1.018 and 1.026 now. So barely moved in a week at about 68 degrees. Still tastes alright, but as of right now the abv by my measurements are at 5.05% and 4.25%. These aren't horrible...but I can't say I am not disappointed (particularly with the one that went from 1.059 to 1.026). Any suggestions at this point or do you think I should just take it how it is and transfer to a secondary and then to the keg in another week for lagering? :(

Have you tried rousing the yeast a bit to get it back in suspension? I don't know if that will help, but you seem to have done pretty much everything right.

Just leave them. They will be on the malty side but it's unlikely anyone will care, or even notice.

One option is to dryhop them to balance them out a bit if you feel the maltiness is over the top. I doubt that it is, and if you choose to dry hop them, do so with care.

I did move the fermenters a little to get the yeast in suspension a little more when I originally brought it up to 68 degrees (without splashing or getting a lot of oxygen in the beer). I couldn't do much with it until today due to work. But I think just letting them how they are is the best option at this point. So I am transferring to secondaries for a couple days to keep the yeast that ultimately gets into the keg to a minimum and then into the kegs for lagering. The maltiness is fine, if anything the added sweetness in the lower abv one may appeal to the females who come to the party. I have a feeling I will be pretty happy with the higher abv one though. Next year I will definitely do a starter, some yeast nutrient, and maybe invest in a cheap wort oxygenating system to be on the safe side though. Thanks for all the advice guys!!!

Back