OktoberFAST FG higher than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Rock

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to rack my OktoberFAST this weekend. It fermented for a week at ~60F, then another week at ~66F. I then took a sample and it measured at 1.024, higher than I anticipated. I raised the temp to 70F, slightly shook the fermenter and gave it another 3 days. Measuring this morning, the gravity hasn't moved a bit, so I am guessing it's done. This was my first time using S-04, so I have little to compare. I did mash higher than any prior batch, 158F. It tastes great, doesn't seem overly sweet, so I am content to call it good.

OG 1.051
FG 1.024

3.4 lb - Bohemian Pilser (36%)
2 lb - Vienna (21%)
1.6 lb - Munich Dark 20L (17%)
.8 lb - Melanoidin (8.5%)
.8 lb - Crystal 20L(8.5%)
.4 lb - Crystal 40L (4.25%)
.4 lb - Carapils Dextrine (4.25%)

On the same day, I brewed a pumpkin ale at a lower mash temp, 155F. It was also fermented with S-04 under identical conditions.

OG 1.050
FG 1.14
8 lb - 2-Row (80%)
1 lb - Victory (10%)
1 lb - Crystal 60L (10%)

I happened to read this article on Mash Temps earlier this week, so I am leaning towards the higher FG being a combo of the grain bill and mash temp. Does that seem plausible or do you think it might have petered out along the way? Both batches had the airlock dancing within 24h and appeared to more or less mirror each other's activity.

I'd chalk it up to a high mash temp paired with 17% crystal malts in the recipe. That's quite a lot, especially considering you will have a lot of malt intensity already thanks to the Vienna, dark Munich and melanoidin malts.

I'd chalk it up to a high mash temp paired with 17% crystal malts in the recipe. That's quite a lot, especially considering you will have a lot of malt intensity already thanks to the Vienna, dark Munich and melanoidin malts.

Makes sense to me. I guess I made the ultimate Oktoberfest session ale. At least it didn't come out too sweet.

Latest posts

Back