Oklahoma homebrewing license

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbig

Reaction score
I've been making it for years and had always heard making beer was legal, but it appears I was wrong. You could make wine and cider, but they've only allowed beer since 2010, and only legally can make 3.2% beer, and ONLY if you have a license/permit to do so!

So, last week I contacted the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission and just received my license in the mail. No fees to get one (Yet) but they say they can fine you up to $5,000 for not having one..

Anyway, didn't know if you other Okies even knew about it, or you others from other states.. if you know your current laws.

trbig said:
I've been making it for years and had always heard making beer was legal, but it appears I was wrong. You could make wine and cider, but they've only allowed beer since 2010, and only legally can make 3.2% beer, and ONLY if you have a license/permit to do so!

So, last week I contacted the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission and just received my license in the mail. No fees to get one (Yet) but they say they can fine you up to $5,000 for not having one..

Anyway, didn't know if you other Okies even knew about it, or you others from other states.. if you know your current laws.

I'm from norman and go to learn to brew and they have never said anything to me in there hmm...

They said it was something they'd probably never enforce unless you were trying to sell it.. but I figured better safe than sorry.

Is there a home brew shop there in Norman?

trbig said:
They said it was something they'd probably never enforce unless you were trying to sell it.. but I figured better safe than sorry.

Is there a home brew shop there in Norman?

Moore, ok---learntobrew

I had no idea you needed a permit. Anybody got a link? Looked on the ABLE website and just got confused and frustrated.:confused:

Looked on the ABLE website and just got confused and frustrated.:confused:

Anything involved with ABLE will do that to you.

I brewed for almost 15 years in OK when it was still illegal. Even had an undercover ABLE officer (I worked in bars and knew him well) along with the Bixby Deputy Chief of Police over for a brew day (I lived in Tulsa). Let's just say they were first two guys I had to call a cab for.

I brewed on my front porch in a neighborhood that had a constant uniformed patrol presence (for good reasons, not bad). The weekday day shift officer and I were on a first name basis because he would stop for a lemonade and chat anytime he saw the 3-tier and heard the blaring jazz.

So I doubt the legalization will change anything.

I'm from norman and go to learn to brew and they have never said anything to me in there hmm...

I've been in there a number of times...and they've never mentioned anything to me either. Not only that...the way I read the 2010 law...you can't brew higher than 3.2 ABW...and every kit I've gotten from them exceeds that.

§37-163.1 allows for the fermentation of “low-point beer” (0.5%-3.2% ABW) for personal use.

§37-505 allows for the fermentation of beer, cider and wine for personal use by holders of a personal use permit.

§37-506. Definitions.
5. "Beer" means any beverage containing more than three and two-tenths percent (3.2%) of alcohol by weight and obtained by the alcoholic fermentation of an infusion or decoction of barley, or other grain, malt or similar products. "Beer" may or may not contain hops or other vegetable products. "Beer" includes, among other things, beer, ale, stout, lager beer, porter and other malt or brewed liquors, but does not include sake, known as Japanese rice wine;

§37-520.
A. The Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission is authorized to issue, upon application of a person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, an annual personal use permit which when granted authorizes the holder thereof to make, store, possess and transport for personal use, low-point beer as defined by Section 163.2 of this title, beer as defined by Section 506 of this title, fermented non-distilled ciders, and wine as defined by Section 506 of this title. The total volume of each authorized beverage made and possessed for personal use in a given calendar year shall be limited to a volume less than two hundred (200) gallons. The term "personal use" as used in this section and Sections 163.1 and 505 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma States means the individual making beverages pursuant to a valid personal use permit issued by the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission produces such beverages solely for his or her use and consumption, for consumption by his or her family and guests, and for transport to and use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, including, but not limited to, homemaker contests, tastings or judgings. No beverage made pursuant to a personal use permit shall be sold or offered for sale.

You guys need to read closer. 3.2% is defined as "Low-Point Beer" and anything over 3.2% is defined as "Beer". The statute allows for both and includes wine (includes sake), and cider.

If they ever stop and question what I'm doing in my garage here in CT I'll just tell them I'm cooking meth.

This goes back to the whole you will only get busted because you are selling it or you royally pissed some one off.

The only stipulation is you can only brew up to 200 gallons a year and you pay a fee for a license which is 15-25 bucks I think. No 3.2 law for homebrewers. Now for Brew Pubs or breweries selling on premise it's a different story. You can sell your own beer if brewed on the same premise it was made in excess of 3.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only stipulation is you can only brew up to 200 gallons a year and you pay a fee for a license which is 15-25 bucks I think. No 3.2 law for homebrewers. Now for Brew Pubs or breweries selling on premise it's a different story. You can sell your own beer if brewed on the same premise it was made in excess of 3.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is no fee for the permit but you must get it notorized. PKU.

Does anyone remember how long it takes ABLE to send you a permit (Oklahoma)?

I know they are probably very busy issuing new licenses/permits for all of the new locations we can buy beer/wine come November... because of the new alcohol laws.

But I am still wondering how long the wait was for you.

Does anyone remember how long it takes ABLE to send you a permit (Oklahoma)?

I know they are probably very busy issuing new licenses/permits for all of the new locations we can buy beer/wine come November... because of the new alcohol laws.

But I am still wondering how long the wait was for you.

About a week. You fill out the form, and they mail you the permit.

Sucks man, what's the reasoning behind being legally allowed to brew 15+% wine, but nothing stronger than 3% beer?

I'd just tell the authorities I'm making barley wine coolers haha.

Sucks man, what's the reasoning behind being legally allowed to brew 15+% wine, but nothing stronger than 3% beer?

I'd just tell the authorities I'm making barley wine coolers haha.

You've misread. Different sections of Title 37 allow for it. The reason for the separation is that prior to new regulation going into effect in November we are a what is called a "two-point" system. Low point was regulated by City/County health department. High point was regulated by Federal (ABLE).

The rationale behind the two-point system was multi-fold. Licensure differences, refrigeration requirements, point of sales restrictions, etc..

For example. C-Stores/Grocers could sell low-point but nothing else (i.e wine, spirits). Bottle shops could sell high point but no accessories (mixers, foodstuffs, corkscrews, etc,...). Low point could be refrigerated but high point was expressly prohibited from being refrigerated.

New regulations will change much (but not all) of this.

Last edited:
Does ABLE come knocking on your door looking for licenses? I’ve been brewing for 7 years and still haven’t applied for one.

Does ABLE come knocking on your door looking for licenses? I’ve been brewing for 7 years and still haven’t applied for one.

No. But on the rare occasion the police do come knocking it is a piece of paper that confirms you are compliant.

And yes, I have had the police show up on my driveway because of "neighborly" complaint.

the biggest sticking point that the license clarified was in transport for competition and brew club functions which were an issue by ommission. The change of language and the inclusion of licensure made things legally possible for brew clubs.

Well I brew all electric in my kitchen now and I’m not in a brew club so I don’t think those situations would come up but I guess it is a free license so I should just get it anyway.

I got mine when I got my equipment, just re up it once a year and it’s free pretty ridicules but it is what it is

So glad I live in Michigan... Love your state but what a bummer for the homebrewing community there.
I don't think it holds anyone back. My son in law brews near OKC. No one he knows had ever heard of the requirement, let alone bothered to get a permit. Law enforcement has plenty to do without worrying about free scraps of paper.

There probably aren’t enough people getting the permit to bring attention to the money loss. I am sure as soon as they notice they will jack the cost up to $20 a year or something.

Love your state but what a bummer for the homebrewing community there.

Not sure what this means. The registration acknowledges legalization. Prior to 2010, Homebrewing was essentially illegal but not enforced. Legalization did more for public gathering involving homebrew than it did for private production.

I don't think it holds anyone back. My son in law brews near OKC. No one he knows had ever heard of the requirement, let alone bothered to get a permit. Law enforcement has plenty to do without worrying about free scraps of paper.

I am getting one so my insurance company doesn't have an excuse not to cover me if I somehow burn my house down.... in Oklahoma you need to have a license for pretty much everything.

What is the purpose of a homebrewer permit? No revenue collected, no enforcement or inspection, no use of data collected, no data collected for that matter. My belief is that the sort of people who gravitate toward government simply can't comprehend that people might do something, anything, without their oversight and permission. "The bureaucracy must expand to meet the needs of the growing bureaucracy".

Last edited:
What is the purpose of a homebrewer permit? No revenue collected, no enforcement or inspection, no use of data collected, no data collected for that matter. My belief is that the sort of people who gravitate toward government simply can't comprehend that people might do something, anything, without their oversight and permission. "The bureaucracy most expand to meet the needs of the growing bureaucracy".
Depending on the thickness of the paper the permit is printed on you can wipe your butt with it. That would give it purpose :D

Latest posts

Back