Oklahoma homebrewing license

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would the legalization of medical marijuana effect home brewing? I highly doubt it will pass anyway.

It would become the bigger regulatory fish. With legalized MJ no one will care if you are making alcoholic beverages.

I have a feeling it will pass. Legalization is the new "thing" sweeping the nation.

How would the legalization of medical marijuana effect home brewing? I highly doubt it will pass anyway.
That's what we thought in Arkansas. However, the marijuana question brings out voters who have never voted before, or will ever vote again. So now we have a regulatory nightmare, lawsuits flying, judges injunctioning (?), and at least one bribery case. Not one gram of legal dope produced yet.

The new wave of voters does have me concerned for more than just sq788 which I don’t really care about either way but I just don’t think it will pass this year. It might eventually but not yet. Before tattooing was legalized we were one of the last states to restrict tattooing. We’ll see soon though.

For this, it will be decided by voter turn out. There is a majority in favor of any legalization. Reality is that said majority rarely votes during June primary.

Reality is that said majority rarely votes during June primary.

And that is why our Governor decided to put it on the June ballot... I'm getting tired of the politicians and backwards thinking in Oklahoma... the humidity... I'm running out of reasons to stay in this state.... but I am excited to find out the results in one week... even though we too in Oklahoma would not see a gram of weed until years later if this passes... Wooo hooo ;)

Well that was a surprise. Let’s see how Mary Failin handles this one.....

Told ya so. Clever to put it on a primary ballot. Now the folks that came out solely for the dope vote will stay home in November.

Whole thing has already stirred the proverbial pot. I work in municipal .gov. Alcohol licencesure falls in our lap and we've just begun to summit the mountain created by the new alcohol requirements. wondering if licencesure for this will become our workload too.

Whole thing has already stirred the proverbial pot. I work in municipal .gov. Alcohol licencesure falls in our lap and we've just begun to summit the mountain created by the new alcohol requirements. wondering if licencesure for this will become our workload too.
Hey I work in a local government office too! I won’t say which one but....Yay for home brewing bureaucrats! LOL

<quote>The new wave of voters does have me concerned for more than just sq788 which I don’t really care about either way but I just don’t think it will pass this year. It might eventually but not yet. Before tattooing was legalized we were one of the last states to restrict tattooing. We’ll see soon though.</quote>

what he said

Oregon just passed a law too that you have to have a license to brew beer at home. They're like fifty bucks. Thankfully I can get them with a couple admin fees waived and get the price down to $40. Go ahead and PM me if you need one. Here's mine I just got in the mail today.

Untitled.jpg

<quote>The new wave of voters does have me concerned for more than just sq788 which I don’t really care about either way but I just don’t think it will pass this year. It might eventually but not yet. Before tattooing was legalized we were one of the last states to restrict tattooing. We’ll see soon though.</quote>

what he said

Been voting since I was 18... always against the grain of standard Oklahomans... can't wait until the young take control of this country...

P.S.
a democrat is the only reason brewing is legal in Oklahoma.

Been voting since I was 18... always against the grain of standard Oklahomans... can't wait until the young take control of this country...

P.S.
a democrat is the only reason brewing is legal in Oklahoma.
Well, God bless him!

Last edited:
Oregon just passed a law too that you have to have a license to brew beer at home. They're like fifty bucks. Thankfully I can get them with a couple admin fees waived and get the price down to $40. Go ahead and PM me if you need one. Here's mine I just got in the mail today.

View attachment 577196
And if I lived in Oregon, I might just...

I've been making it for years and had always heard making beer was legal, but it appears I was wrong. You could make wine and cider, but they've only allowed beer since 2010, and only legally can make 3.2% beer, and ONLY if you have a license/permit to do so!

So, last week I contacted the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission and just received my license in the mail. No fees to get one (Yet) but they say they can fine you up to $5,000 for not having one..

Anyway, didn't know if you other Okies even knew about it, or you others from other states.. if you know your current laws.

I wondered if there was a state with more strict laws than Utah. Now I know. I moved here from Oregon (absolute beer nirvana) to Utah and persecution. They leave homebrewers alone though.

I lived in Bend Oregon for a couple of years. It is beer heaven and has legal weed. They don't seem to compete with each other much You can't smoke weed in a pub and you can't take alcohol to a dispensary.

But but looks like recreational may make the ballot. It's what they get for screwing around with the medical laws.

Well it’s “medicinal” I can’t think of any other medicines that are smoked. You can still get the oil or edibles. Smoking is bad for you anyway. Just relax and have some THC gummies instead.

I have a relative that needs to gain weight and has extreme nausea due to excessive bowel surgery and he doesn't really get any benefit from the oil or edibles...goes right through to the Ostomy. At least the vape thing is still an option.

Hey so getting back closer to the original topic. Does anyone know the law for transporting filled growlers? I know the taprooms will put electrical tape around the lid. If I do that is it no longer an open container?

I believe that's all you need to do to make it a sealed container. At least that's what I've been told from the breweries.

I just found out that there is a giant hop plant on the bridge outside of the myriad botanical gardens on the north end of the bridge. It’s covered with hop cones right now!

I just found out that there is a giant hop plant on the bridge outside of the myriad botanical gardens on the north end of the bridge. It’s covered with hop cones right now!

Several years ago I donated my hop crowns (8 of them) to the Master Gardener at Myriad Botanical. I am not claiming it is one of mine, but it's possible.

Several years ago I donated my hop crowns (8 of them) to the Master Gardener at Myriad Botanical. I am not claiming it is one of mine, but it's possible.
I tried grow hops for 3 years. Never really worked. Centennial did the best for me but I ever got any cones. What variety did you give the master gardener?

I tried grow hops for 3 years. Never really worked. Centennial did the best for me but I ever got any cones. What variety did you give the master gardener?

I don't recall anymore. I gave her 8 crowns, of different varieties. At my peak I had 14 varietals.

Price of hops came back down and it wasn't worth the hassle to grow anymore.

Well these smell like a low alpha variety. I was thinking of going up there and taking a bag full to make a fresh hop ale. Whole cone hops are kind of a pain to deal with but it just seems like the perfect opportunity. I wouldn’t want all those hops to go to waste either. The plant is probably 20 feet tall and 5 feet wide and it’s covered in cones. So cool!

Back