Okie's Keezer/Liquor Cabinet Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokerlund

Reaction score
Well, I stole this from someone who stole it from someone else, then did my best not screw it up too much. What follows is a first time woodworker with limited tools. I have remodeled two houses, but didn't really focus on the finishing aspect. As a result I have the basics, table saw, sliding miter saw, screw gun, air nailer, sander, etc.

When my brother gave me a perfectly working freezer (should fit 5 conrny kegs), I decided to build a keezer. I stuck with pine because I knew that with my knowledge and tools, I couldn't do Oak justice. In the end, it is turning out within my expectations. I am just about to finish it in the next few weeks/months.

uc

uc

I was worried about heat building up, so I left about 3/4 of an inch between the freezer and the wood frame. Later you will see I put some PC fans in there to push the hot air out of the box.
uc

My biggest problem right now is that I made it 35 3/8" wide, figuring I had a 36" front door. Now I realize that the casing they added for the screen door shrinks my opening down to 35" max. I'm not thinking how I can take my sliding glass door off the track to get this into my dining room.

I also bought 'stainable' wood filler. After letting it sit, then sanding it and waiting the suggested 24 hours, you can still see smudges where I put the putty on. Disappointing, but not tooooo noticable. We plan on putting on some great tile that is made to look like rustic wood. That will fill in the top and on top of the faucet tower.

Sliding Glass doors are easy to remove..You just lift. It will lift inside the upper part and the bottom comes out of the track...Can be done by one person...safer with two....

Yeppppp...You need to sand the area real well around the putty....Otherwise it sticks inside the wood pores

My biggest problem right now is that I made it 35 3/8" wide, figuring I had a 36" front door. Now I realize that the casing they added for the screen door shrinks my opening down to 35" max. I'm not thinking how I can take my sliding glass door off the track to get this into my dining room.

I also bought 'stainable' wood filler. After letting it sit, then sanding it and waiting the suggested 24 hours, you can still see smudges where I put the putty on. Disappointing, but not tooooo noticable. We plan on putting on some great tile that is made to look like rustic wood. That will fill in the top and on top of the faucet tower.

Sliding Glass doors are easy to remove..You just lift. It will lift inside the upper part and the bottom comes out of the track...Can be done by one person...safer with two....

Yeppppp...You need to sand the area real well around the putty....Otherwise it sticks inside the wood pores

My plane for mine to hide the holes is counter sink the screws as far as I can. Take some scrap wood use a Plug cutter bit. Pound that in, chisel off the excess, sand smooth , stain, rinse repeat.

My plane for mine to hide the holes is counter sink the screws as far as I can. Take some scrap wood use a Plug cutter bit. Pound that in, chisel off the excess, sand smooth , stain, rinse repeat.

Beware of how you cut your plugs.....pay attention to the Grain....A plug cut in the wrong direction will stick out like a sore thumb for sure. I recommend laying out a screw pattern and using the plugs as inlays so if the do show up it looks "planned".

I

Also have you made it so you can replace the freezer? I made one similar and after 2 years the freezer died. We built it in such a way that to remove the keezer parts to replace the freezer would destroy the cabinetry.

Yes, the freezer just sits on the chassis. The top hinges up in the freezer hinges and is bolted on. All I need to do is pull some bolts and it comes out. I am actually taking it a part to fit it in the house.

That looks great! What size of freezer is that, any idea on the cubic feet? I'm looking to do something like this soon.

Back