Okay to plant in cold temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessox80

Reaction score
Hello, I am getting some new crowns today from Great Lakes Hops and was wondering how to best handle planting them. It supposed to be cold the next 3 days here, but not below 35. Should I plant and cover, keep them in a temporary planter in the house and wait, or otherwise? Any advice is appreciated.

I have decided to keep my new rooted cuttings in 5 gal. buckets until it warms up a little more here in N. Ohio. I have wondered this myself but I figure better safe then sorry.

if it's going to remain above 35, you're fine putting them in the ground.

if you want to baby them, keep them inside but in front of a south-facing window. but they'll be fine outside, and will appreciate the additional sunlight. the sooner they start adapting to their new home, the better.

if it's going to remain above 35, you're fine putting them in the ground.

if you want to baby them, keep them inside but in front of a south-facing window. but they'll be fine outside, and will appreciate the additional sunlight. the sooner they start adapting to their new home, the better.

As I have read on, I think I will take that advice and plant them this weekend. Thanks for your insight sweetcell, I appreciate it.

Cheers! :mug:

I feel that as long as you can dig in it the soil is warm enough to plant hops rhizomes in. The only thing I'd avoid it planting them in sopping wet soil because that would encourage rot before they get a chance to get some new roots established. They'll sprout and come up when the soil gets warm enough, but will start to grow roots well before that.

Hello, I am getting some new crowns today from Great Lakes Hops and was wondering how to best handle planting them. It supposed to be cold the next 3 days here, but not below 35. Should I plant and cover, keep them in a temporary planter in the house and wait, or otherwise? Any advice is appreciated.

Hello Ohio guys, what kind of hops are you planting? My cascade and Mt hood are growing really well outside right now. I should be getting some magnums here in a day or so and will get them in the ground asap.

Hello Ohio guys, what kind of hops are you planting? My cascade and Mt hood are growing really well outside right now. I should be getting some magnums here in a day or so and will get them in the ground asap.

I have Northern Brewer, Cascade, Nugget, and Centennial :rockin:

I feel that as long as you can dig in it the soil is warm enough to plant hops rhizomes in. The only thing I'd avoid it planting them in sopping wet soil because that would encourage rot before they get a chance to get some new roots established. They'll sprout and come up when the soil gets warm enough, but will start to grow roots well before that.

+1. I was forced to move all my plants this time last year, 6 days after planting we got snow that lasted for about 2 weeks. All plants came up and were fine.

Back