Okay to bottle w/ screw top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctufano

Reaction score
Hey all, this could really be mead or wine forum -- cuz I'm bottling my mead in wine bottles!

I'm planning on bottling my mead in used and cleaned wine bottles -- in order to do this, I asked a local bar to save all their wine bottles for me.

So far they've given me about 6, and 4 of them are screw tops. So my question is this, are these ok to bottle in?

I'm planning on waxing my bottle tops, so being mead will not be carbonated, it will have the screw top + wax, so there shouldnt be any air in or out

Thoughts?

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems. Of course you could always cork your screw top bottles if you want too (just get slightly smaller corks... maybe 8's or 7's) I've actually corked a few of my screw top bottles no problem.

I have a collection of screw-top wine bottles which I use for bottling. I have had no troubles with them. I am sure to sterilize them well. When I fill them, I don't leave a lot of space at the top and I make sure the screw tops are firmly screwed down. I haven't had anything that hung around for more than 6 months, though, so I cannot say what long term will be. I'm hoping to bottle some JAOM later this summer, so maybe I'll find out then.
I was considering getting some zorks to top bottles aimed at gift giving. I've tried to get a sample of the product before investing a lot in them, but that's been difficult at best.

Back