OK...what the heck happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHarris

Reaction score
:confused: 2nd batch of homebrew....this one is a heffenweizen!!....got it out of the primary after 9 days(very active i may add) took a sample and the S.G. was 1.00...what the hell happened...and what to do

PS...it tastes good but.....

If you hadn't said that it was a heffe, I'd have guessed Budweiser by that FG (I assume that after 9 days you aren't measuring starting gravity).

If it tastes good, what's the problem? It's fully fermented and maybe a little light tasting or your hydrometer is off a bit. Check it in 60º water and see if it reads the same. What was your starting gravity?

Did you add sugar? Did you use Champagne yeast? It is possible to get a Final Gravity of less than 1.000, but not usually with beer.

I'm guessing it was a bad hydrometer reading somehow. Post your recipe though so we can try to figure out what happened.

If it tastes good, then you have a nice dry hefe session beer. Perfect for summer drinking.

While hydrometer readings are essential for some styles to be sure fermentation is complete, if you are making a low-mid gravity beer and are sure to let it ferment long enough to be done, then taste is the best measure of all.

6 lbs. wheat malt extract
1/2 lb. wheat malt grain
1/2 lb. six-row pale malt
1/4 lb. cara-pils malt
1 oz. Hallertauer hops (bittering 60 minutes of boil))
1 tube. White Labs Hefeweizen Yeast
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)

added steeped "tea" from malt bag....60 min boil w/hops...into primary...let cool...added White labs Hef yeast & packet of Bru-vigor...popped on air lock and waited...waited...finally on 3rd day..all hell broke loose..came home from work and it looked like "the blob" (albeit a brown one) had attacked my primary...other than that had decent action up until monday...put into secondary today and took reading
Before you say it...I can't find my book that has the starting SG

FINGERS-SG often refers to "specific gravity" not just "starting gravity"

JHARRIS-Beer yeasts usually eat about 75 percent of the sugar in your wort. A specific gravity of 1.000 or below would usually indicate that something other than beer yeast got into your batch (ie-wine yeast, bacteria). If it tastes fine then you probably just got a poor hydrometer reading. Also, you didn't finish typing the gravity. Was it in fact 1.000 or did you leave a digit of the end of the 1.00?

I know this is basic, but...Did you spin your hydrometer and account for temp difference?

Well, I'm not really doubting you. But I think at beer at 1.000 wouldn't taste very good, so since you say it tastes good I think the reading must be wrong. Could you sanitize again, and try again? Do you use a wine thief to pull out your sample? If you do, put the sample in the test jar and place the hydrometer in it and give it a spin. Maybe even snap a picture so we can visualize what you're reading. Make sure the hydrometer is floating freely off the bottom and not touching the sides of the jar.

what I intend on doing is taking a sample down to my local Homebrew shop (Defalcos in Houston) and getting their opinion...I'll let you folks know!!

If you haven't checked the accuracy of your hydromometer, bring it to Defalcos too. Also, I doubt that the beer nutrients could have caused the low FG. The nutrients should just accelerate the fermentation, and not cause any unfermentables to ferment. Ask Defalcos if Bru-Vigor has any enzymes in it. I guessing that it is just “fertilizer” for the yeast, so it shouldn't’t be the reason why the final gravity seems low.

Alright folks...heres the verdict.. My Hydrometer reading was correct (kinda)..FG is 1.001..beer has 6% ABV....they termed it as a hefeweizen ultra..low carb beer... (shhhh don't tell the Michelob folks..they'll try and rip it off!!)...the defalcos crew suggested that next time no more Bru-vigor should be used. They actualy liked the taste and want a bottle when I'm done. That will be this morning,bottles are santized and in the tree..I'll let you guys know. THANK YOU for all of the responses and suggestions...very much appreciated

Well...the saga continues..after all things above. I went ahead a primed the beer (1.50 cups dextrose) and bottled it. 17 days later..not a bit of carbonation..nada...what the hell????

the rule for bottling is

21 days at 70deg

I have had a few bottles that didn't carb

give them another week in an area that is 70deg

Back