OK, what am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
This is the second batch of cider that I had to re-pitch the yeast to get fermentation started and I am wondering what I am doing wrong.
Batch#1: 5 gallons of unpasturized, preservative free cider(O.G 1.050). Added 5 crushed Campden tablets, 2 1/2t pectic enzyme, 4t yeast nutrient. Covered bucket and waited 24 hours before pitching 1 packet of Safale S-04. After 6 days @ 65*F, there was no airlock activity and the S.G. had not changed.
Batch#2: Same as Batch #1 except this time I waited 48 hours prior to pitching 1 packet of Saflager 34/70. After 5 days of no airlock activity I took a S.G. reading, which had not changed.
Both batches took off and started fermenting after I added a second packet of yeast.
Any Ideas?

Do you bloom the yeast first in some warmish water?
How old is the yeast?
Do you give it a mix? It might just need aeration.

this happens with many of my ciders that i hit with campden. one of my cider books has a handy little table about using campden tablets and how many to use. this varies depending on the pH of your juice. but for a juice with a pH of 3.7, they say to use 3 tablets per gallon!

what i do now is i usually use 10 or 12 tablets, crushed up and mix in. then i wait 48, aerate and pitch yeast. if no activity in TEN days, i re-pitch, otherwise i just wait it out. i am blooming my yeast in Go-Ferm rehydration nutrient as well.

i know it seems like a long time to wait, but if you practiced good sanition, it shouldn't be a big deal. i have not had problems yet.

if we get to day 7 with no action, i re-aerate was well.

What is the advantage to adding Camden prior to fermentation? If the juice or cider is pasteurized there isn't any wild yeast.

I haven't used Camden except to kill fermentation or to prepare for long term aging.

Do you bloom the yeast first in some warmish water?
How old is the yeast?
Do you give it a mix? It might just need aeration.

No I did not bloom the yeast first, I just sprinkled the dry yeast on top of the cider.
The yeast was fresh in both cases and was kept refrigerated until it was time to use it.
I did try stirring it a couple of times.
Do you think the campden may have still been working when I pitched the yeast?

It's possible. I don't use campden very much so I'm not an expert. It could be that enough campden was left that the unbloomed yeast couldn't get past it. If you hydrate the yeast first in some lukewarm water until it bubbles a wee bit it may help it get past the hump. You could also just wait an extra day to stack the odds in your favour.

What is the advantage to adding Camden prior to fermentation? If the juice or cider is pasteurized there isn't any wild yeast.

campden is not necessary at all for pasturized juice, only fresh pressed stuff.

most wine yeasts are made to get past campden, it just takes time. i would seriously suggest blooming the yeast in a little bowl, maybe a cup or two of water to ~11 grams of yeast, water no hotter than 100. let it rehydrate for 20 minutes, then stir the bowl with a fork and pitch.

i always use go-ferm rehydration nutrient now, but i have made many batches without it years ago, so that's up to you. i like it though, helps to keep down hydrogen sulfide and make happy yeasties.

Back