OK to use old DME for starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Getting ready to make a starter for Saturday's brew and I'm wondering if it would be OK to use some DME that's probably a year old. It's been in a zip lock bag but is more crunchy than powder. I do have some fresh stuff but have to throw out a batch worth if it is OK to use.

What do you think?

It is only sugar. It is fine to use. It doesn't take much moisture to make it a block; like brown sugar.

It will be fine for a main brew.

If your worried ferment the starter out fully, crash cool then decant liquid prior to use. In future seal dme in bag and store in freezer until used up.

If your worried ferment the starter out fully, crash cool then decant liquid prior to use. In future seal dme in bag and store in freezer until used up.

Now that's a great idea, I never even thought of freezing it. Know what I am doing when I get home. Thanks for the tip!

I've used old DME for starters and bottling. It was stored in the back of the fridge. No issues.

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback! I made the starter and it is bubbling away on the stir paste.
BTW, thanks for the top on freezing the DME, never thought of that!

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback! I made the starter and it is bubbling away on the stir paste.
BTW, thanks for the top on freezing the DME, never thought of that!

Freezer > Fridge but both work well. Just depends on how quickly you go through it.

Back