OK to create starter with corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
Don't have any DME handy and want to brew this weekend. Thoughts?

Yes, it will work. The yeast may take a little longer to "shift gears" and start in on the malt sugars when you pitch, but it will work.

I agree, not recommended. I have a feeling yeast propogated on corn sugar would have a shock when introduce to malt fermentables. The density of the liquid and therefore the pressure exerted on the yeast cells could cause them to, at worst, die, go dormant or mutate. At the least, even with a starter, your yeast will start take longer to start-up, if you following a line of reasoning with yeast and meads or high-gravity brews. Always try to keep a pound or so of plain light DME on hand!:)

BREW ON:mug:

Mutated Yeast! That sounds like it could open a lot of flavor possibilities. Like we could market
X yeast, Mutant Ninja Yeast, Flesh eating yeast.. :rockin:

Don't do that.

Yeast raised in a Glucose based medium will loose its ability (enzymes) to ferment maltose and may lead to stalled fermentations. They simply get lazy.

Yeast should only be propagated in a medium as close to wort as possible. This means use DME or actual wort you had left over from other brew days.

Kai

Just to clarify: I'm going to be brewing a beer with a lot of corn sugar (Duvel), so I thought the shock could be reduced somewhat. Also, I intend to use the starter the next day. How much can yeast mutate in one day?

Sounds like I should order some DME and brew next weekend. This weekend would have been great to brew though, as the weather is looking crappy.

JeffNYC said:
Just to clarify: I'm going to be brewing a beer with a lot of corn sugar (Duvel), so I thought the shock could be reduced somewhat. Also, I intend to use the starter the next day. How much can yeast mutate in one day?

I don't think it is mutation that makes the yeast loose its enzyme for Maltose (Maltase).

I'm not sure with batches that have a lot of glucose in them to begin with. One thing that you don't want to happen is that the yeast metabolizes all the glucose and leaves the maltose untouched. I believe that can even happen with yeast raised on fully malt based wort, but it is less likely.

I wonder what the sugar composition of Malta (a mexican malt based soft drink) is and if it has a high enough maltose content to be used for starters? But I'm afraid that they put to much corn syrup in to keep it cheap (even though it is not that cheap to begin with).

Kai

BTW: check out this article: http://brewery.org/brewery/library/EnzStuckFermAW1095.html

Back