OK so what exactly is in pH cleaning solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
Alrighty so not to belabor my stupidity, but about 5 ml of Miwaukee pH electrode cleaning solution ended up in my mash (!)

Trying to figure out if this is game over for my brew or not. The MSDS is entirely unhelpful, except to say "non-hazardous".

Any safety & health concerns? Thanks!

Most electrode cleaning solutions are a blend of enzymes and a mild acid catalyst. They're designed to breakdown proteins and membranes that form on the sensor surface over time.

It's classified as non-hazardous because it won't quickly react with other substances to cause harmful vapors or flame in transport or storage. The enzymes (pepsins) won't create too much heat and the acid content is typically > 0.01%

Since it's non-hazardous, and given the reactions going on in mash, boil and fermentation, I'd consider it a non-issue.

OK good deal, thank you for the reply. I was pretty much assuming that, but good to have it confirmed, so I can be confident in my safety!

Latest posts

Back