Ok, I know this is crazy but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
My wife and I just got through blanching ~300 ears of corn. that water left in my brew pot sure looks like it has a lot of starch in it. I wonder if i threw in a couple lbs of dme and some corn sugar, boiled it, hoped it, cooled it and put it on top of a yeast cake in one of my fermenters. Nah, it'd probably taste like sh_t

Wouldn't the starch need to be converted in order to be fermented? I'm no pro, but I thought that mashing grains/adjuncts was to convert the starch into fermentable sugar.

I mean sure, adding fermentable sugars (dme, corn sugar) would make fermentation possible, but using simply the 'starch' as a base wouldn't give much for the yeast to eat.

EDIT: Other than that, I'm not sure how it would taste.

Idk...maybe 3lbs of plain extra light DME,& 1lb or less of demerara sugar from the grocery store. A good hop schedule...might be worth a try.

Why not use it as mash water for a partial mash? make a simple American pale ale. I'm sure it wouldn't be bad, as no home brewed beer is bad.
If you haven't done anything with mashing yet, why not start now?

google Chicha de Jora. made from germinating maize to convert the starch to fermentable sugar then making wort and fermenting. could you germinate the corn water? ithink you are on to something here.

Back