OK for Element to touch the bottom of the pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm working on the logistics of fitting a 14" ripple element into a 12" diameter kettle.

This is an existing kettle so please don't tell me to buy a bigger kettle.

I currently have two 1650 watt (120V) elements from Brew Hardware https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element1650_tc.htm , But, I'm having scorching issues. The elements are in a Weldless triclamp fitting.

I'm thinking of replacing at least one element with a 5000 watt 240V ripple element. Running on 120V it would be 1350 Watt. http://www.brew-boss.com/ULWD-L6-30...e-Heater-Element-p/htr-5500-ripple-l6-30p.htm

If I get a tri clamp extension https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5...e-Extension-Tube-1_7-OAL.html?category_id=336 I could barely fit a 14" long element into my pot. By my calculations I have 14.3" from the tri clamp extension to the edge of the pot.

Questions:

1. Is there any problems with using an extension piece for a longer element?

2. If the element touches the end of the pot or the bottom of the pot would this cause any problems.

3. Would it be possible for me to put two of these elements in my pot. Rotate one element 45 or 90 degrees so the ripple humps over the other element.

Here is a picture of my kettle with the current elements.

IMG_1605.jpg

It sounds like a bad idea. I'll tell you my thoughts, but I'll preface by saying I'm just making most of this up and I could be 100% wrong.

If the element touches the pot, it'll create a very hot spot there on the pot. The water itself can't get above 212 without turning to gas, but the pot sure can. I understand the water touches the pot too, so maybe it's OK. Now, if hop debri or similar material collects at the intersection of the element and the pot, it's gonna burn for sure.

Now, one might say "Hey, the element is screwed into the pot, so isn't it touching it at it's base?". The answer is no, because the internal nichrome wire (inside the incoloy shell) that does the actual heating doesn't make it all the way to the base. It's soldered to a cold pin, which is the part you see coming out to the screw terminals.

I wouldn't do it. I'd tell you what I think you should do, but you don't want to hear that :)

It sounds like a bad idea. I'll tell you my thoughts, but I'll preface by saying I'm just making most of this up and I could be 100% wrong.

If the element touches the pot, it'll create a very hot spot there on the pot. The water itself can't get above 212 without turning to gas, but the pot sure can. I understand the water touches the pot too, so maybe it's OK. Now, if hop debri or similar material collects at the intersection of the element and the pot, it's gonna burn for sure.

What you are saying is what I'm thinking. The element gets much hotter than 212.

Would 1/4" away from the pot be too close?

Pots do sit directly on an electric stove.

What you are saying is what I'm thinking. The element gets much hotter than 212.

Would 1/4" away from the pot be too close?

Pots do sit directly on an electric stove.

1/4" would be fine unless debris still got stuck in there. I'd be much more comfortable with that though.

Yes, I understand that stove coils do this. So, maybe I'm wrong :) But you have to admit, the trapped debris problem is probably going to wreck your day eventually.

Once again, I'm talking out my azz. I'm expecting a bunch of people to correct me soon.

I don't think it will make any noticeable difference if your element has incidental contact with the wall of the pot...

The contact area will be tiny...

Back