OK Dammit, first infection.FYI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
This was hard to spot. What gave it away was the fact that my air lock just kept going, and going, and going.........5 weeks or so in secondary.

I am sorry I didn't get a pic. When I finally realized it, I got the beer transferred into my brew pot and cranked up the temp to 185 or so for 30 minutes.

While that was coming up to temp, I scrubbed and starzanned the inside of that carboy like crazy.

I boiled and cooled a little dextrose and water, cooled it, cooled my beer/wort,
put the yeast into the primary/tertiary with the sugar water, and pitched the wort back onto the yeast.

It was hard to spot, because it was greyish brown, like yeast, and was growing on the sides of the carboy above the beer and up into the neck.

It looked like krausen residue. It had no off smell, the beer tasted good, and it looked completely normal from the outside of the carboy.

What finally tipped me off, were some small dark, oily looking clumps of bubbles. Then I looked closer at the gunk in the carboy.

Dammit! lol, I guess it had to happen eventually. Did I do everything right? Anyone had a similar problem?

Until the bottles gush and it tastes soured, nothing is f*cked. Nothing is f*cked here, Dude! [YOUTUBE]IlvoFtA21qA[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously, how does it taste? I don't care what's on the side of your carboy---if the beer tastes fine, then it's not infected.

It tasted great. No problem. It just wouldn't stop gassing off. It was still bubbling after 5 weeks in secondary. I just knew that to bottle it would mean gushers.

You just let it finish then!!! It can't bubble forever! Don't tell me you dumped perfectly good-tasting brew....
scared0015.gif

My DIPA is still going after 3 weeks but the grav has been the same for about 10 days. It's just off-gassing CO2 in solution.

If it tastes fine, then drink it.

I DID NOT DUMP IT!! Lol, did you even read my first post EVAN! OH well, that is OK.

The gunk in the neck had to be mold. I have never seen anything like it, and it was damn near impossible to get off. Also it had spread to my airlock.

All I did was kill my yeast. That is the worst case. At best case I stopped the infection. I would rather err on caution.

No I still plan to bottle it, and hopefully the new yeast are bubbling away on it right now.

You don't hear about kegs exploding, you do hear about bottle bombs and gushers. I wanted to make sure that gassing, whatever it was, stopped. At 3-4 bubbles a minute it was too much gassing not to take into account.

mr x said:
Why you are putting new yeast in it? Did you check the FG.

Cause he cooked his newly made beer at 185 degrees...that's some dead yeast. ;)

It could have been mold of some sort, but I'm with Evan!, if it doesn't taste bad, it's not infected. Regardless, you should be fine now. I don't really know what the rammifications are of cooking your beer post fermentation though........:confused:

shunoshi said:
Cause he cooked his newly made beer at 185 degrees...that's some dead yeast. ;)
It's been fermenting for at least 6 weeks.;)

I would have assumed it's finished, and definitely checked it with a hydrometer.

mr x said:
It's been fermenting for at least 6 weeks.;)

I would have assumed it's finished, and definitely checked it with a hydrometer.

It's finished, but the new yeast is for bottle carbonation. :p

Back