Ok, crazy idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammanron

Reaction score
Now, hear me out... I'm just wondering if ANYONE has tried putting a pellet or two of hops DIRECTLY INTO A DRINKING GLASS off beer?

Would this be stupid? Would it be un-classy? Would it not get any result worth sharing? Seems silly, but also seems it may just be crazy enough to start something.. .... ... Problem not. But, think of the possibilities

If anyone has tried this, tell us...

I guess it would depend on how quickly you would drink it i presume... maybe im crazy or stupid.. or both... lol

Ok...
I was thinking, i dunno... like a sort of flavour bomb or something. A trendy thing to do whilst drinking a pint!

Pellet hops will add a LOT of material to the beer. May not be the most pleasant drink. However, make a hop tea with the pellet hops and add the tea to the beer.
I figure, but if its drank quick enough ... and not moved around alot....

I have not done that...but I did convince my 16 y/o son to bite and chew a hop pellet. Having never done it myself up to that point, I joined him. Blech.....bad decision...but has led to a more than a couple of laughs, both that night and in subsequent conversations afterwards!!!!!

Never tried it, but think it would be interesting to drop a pellet (or some leaf) into a very neutral beer that wouldn't distract from the hops (like some BMC), to see what flavor would come out.
I know, right?

LOL, i just picked up 6lbs of 2016 hops, pellets....i don't know why this is coming off as a hard experiment? i'm half way through a pour now, think i'll finish it first, then i'm going to pour the last 4ozs, (i fill to 16oz for a 12oz pour) and i'll dump the last 4 oz in the blender, and blend it with a hop pellet, then pour the pour...i'll even report on the hod retention! :mug: Who knows, maybe i'll stop hoping my beer altogether, because lord knows it oxidized to hell with my brewing methods! lol

but seriously, i got 4 more ozs to go till test time, planing on crunching for it! 10-15 minutes tops! subscribe and click watch for notifications! ;)

edit: well blending 4ozs of beer, with 1 gram, two pellets...made a twenty ounce glass of foam. i tried twice once quick, the other time i tried letting the liquid accumulate to the original 4 ozs with about 2 inches of foam still, even tried putting a computer fan to thicken the head up, hoping for a fancy pic of thickness on top of the glass.....no luck..need a drink maybe i'll try again next pour..

Last edited:
LOL, i just picked up 6lbs of 2016 hops, pellets....i don't know why this is coming off as a hard experiment? i'm half way through a pour now, think i'll finish it first, then i'm going to pour the last 4ozs, (i fill to 16oz for a 12oz pour) and i'll dump the last 4 oz in the blender, and blend it with a hop pellet, then pour the pour...i'll even report on the hod retention! :mug: Who knows, maybe i'll stop hoping my beer altogether, because lord knows it oxidized to hell with my brewing methods! lol

but seriously, i got 4 more ozs to go till test time, planing on crunching for it! 10-15 minutes tops! subscribe and click watch for notifications! ;)
We’re at 31 minutes...

We’re at 31 minutes...

well the it was foamy but no thickness i had to wait! and when i tried to get crown it spilled over, so not worth a pic!

i plan on trying to do it again, but letting the inital foam die all the way down, and pouring it full, to see if maybe the head works good....i can say i'm not getting any residule hop flavor from the glass after dumping my foamy pours?

well the it was foamy but no thickness i had to wait! and when i tried to get crown it spilled over, so not worth a pic!
😂 I’m sticking around for test 2.0.

Between wanting to drink my beer cold and it taking to long for the hops to actually do anything - and then the pellets break down into a lot of debris in the cup, I’m not thinking this is viable.

I’m not thinking this is viable.

i'm thinking maybe throwing a bunch of pellet hops in a keg, and cracking up the reg on some beer gas , running it through a nitro tap? why not! just have to clean it more often?

and it will be Beer Glasses v3.1 (i only had the idea for the fan half way through v2......and i gotta drink this one, otherwise i'd be sober enough to think rationally, and lose my adventoruse spirit..

well v3.1 just had a bunch of green goop on top of the head, wasn't worth a pic either. but damn what retention? took like 15 minutes and then a fan to settle it down.....

maybe 1 gram of hops is too much for one glass?

But did you die? And did you get any extra flavour or just a glass with a bunch of trub in?

well, i didn't wan't to use floss to use, just to dribk a beer so i dumped the glass....and as i type this drink my 12th beer for the day, i might just live in continual denial of dying......but now i remember i need a tbls of wheat germ oil, for vitamin e, and omega-6.... (and why the hell doesn't spell check underline "dribk"? lol!)

but on a more on topic and serious note, now i want to pour through hop pellets from the tap....think i might of heard of that before even, somewhere....

...make a hop tea with the pellet hops and add the tea to the beer.
Or maybe a hop vodka infusion? Soaked for a few days, then poured through a sieve into an empty glass - - then add beer. If it were hoppy enough, maybe only a teaspoonful would suffice. Still not as quick (or trendy) as OP's concept

That's actually a pretty good idea, so like a bazooka screen filled with hops at the tap nozzle that you pour through? I'm no hop head so it's probably not for me but for all the hop fanatics and hipsters out there it might be the next big thing. Be sure to patent that sh*t.

Or maybe a hop vodka infusion? Soaked for a few days, then poured through a sieve into an empty glass - - then add beer. If it were hoppy enough, maybe only a teaspoonful would suffice. Still not as quick (or trendy) as OP's concept
I can imagine alot of foam with certain types of beers, but others is more like "pours a glass, then pops in a pellet of hop as a flair to the drink..." This blender business seems like making a beer shake, though...lol

If you don’t wanna drink hop particles and get green teeth, the dash of hop tea would be your best bet. A pellet of hop trash would probably ruin a good beer. Toss a pellet in a glass of water and see what happens. It should disintegrate into particles pretty quick. Like a torn tea bag leaking grounds into your cup.

A few years back there was a kickstarter for a company called Hop Theory that was trying to sell hops in tea bags you would put in a glass of beer.
https://uncrate.com/hop-theory-beer-enhancers/
I'm thinking it could actually work if you brewed a light lager for the summer and didn't have room for a keg of hoppy beer. But instead of putting a single pellet in a glass, I'd get a kitchen canister that a had a lid that sealed like a big Grolsch bottle, fill it almost all the way with beer and add the hops, orange peel and coriander in a metal tea ball. Close it up and keep it cold for about a half hour and see what happens. You'd lose some carbonation, but not all.
If you wanted to be thrifty, you could even save the hops, since they haven't been boiled, and toss them in your next brew. I have some lager on tap, and my keg of IPL just kicked so I might try it later today.

What you can do, is get a flavorless beer like bud light, in a bottle, open the beer and drop in a predetermined amount of hops, say 5 pellets or so, then recap the bottle and let it sit at room temperature for a week or so, then chill and open the bottle, carefully pour the beer leaving the hops behind.

BTW- I had some hop oil extract and though that I would try to flavor up a beer with it, put a drizzle into a glass and then poured the beer, the oil was like tar and didn't do anything for the beer other than just make a mess of the glass. It needs some heat to dissolve into the beer. On a side note, there was just a tiny drop on the end of the syringe, and I thought, I wonder how this stuff tastes, and wiped the droplet off and put it in my mouth, VERY BAD IDEA.

Keystone's "Bitter Beer Face?" :p

Well to begin with it is a concentrate, and the consistency being tar like, it stuck to the roof of my mouth, this horrible overpowering taste, I had to get a paper towel and wipe it out, it was a bit of a challenge, ended up smearing it around a bit before I was able to get it all wiped up.

Not a good day.

If not properly stirred into the beer, distributed, then not a valid taste test.
Not supposed to be a taste addition as such, just a trendy thing to do... Like squirting lime into your beer.
I've had a shot before that was vodka and instant coffee.... I think it's called an Astronaut... It was pretty vile, but trendy!

A few years back there was a kickstarter for a company called Hop Theory that was trying to sell hops in tea bags you would put in a glass of beer.
https://uncrate.com/hop-theory-beer-enhancers/
I'm thinking it could actually work if you brewed a light lager for the summer and didn't have room for a keg of hoppy beer. But instead of putting a single pellet in a glass, I'd get a kitchen canister that a had a lid that sealed like a big Grolsch bottle, fill it almost all the way with beer and add the hops, orange peel and coriander in a metal tea ball. Close it up and keep it cold for about a half hour and see what happens. You'd lose some carbonation, but not all.
If you wanted to be thrifty, you could even save the hops, since they haven't been boiled, and toss them in your next brew. I have some lager on tap, and my keg of IPL just kicked so I might try it later today.
See?? I'm not THAT crazy.... Now I gotta tell my wife she's wrong...

I have tried this. Added a few pellets to a glass of Bud Light. I don't think it added anything. I think it may work if you crushed it up, but like mentioned I didn't want to do that.

My kids like these Kool-Aid squirt bottles things, that I recall somebody made a "hop version" at one time. But I don't think it ever worked out.

Last season, after I'd vacuum packed up the season's hop harvest, I noticed that the container I'd used to weigh out 2 oz portions was fairly yellow, sticky, and aromatic. So, I gave it a rinse with some 196 proof alcohol. Ended up with a small container of yellow hop extract, which I used to improve some FYB I had about. Worked very nicely, but the shelf life was short. Lost its aroma in a couple months, as I recall. It was a clear-ish plastic bottle, so I wonder if light played a role in the shelf life. I might try again and use a brown glass vial when harvest time rolls around this season.

Pretty sure it is/was a polypropylene food safe container. Regardless, not one that couldn't stand up to the solvent. But, thanks for your concern. It's still sitting on the shelf nearly a year later. Now flavorless and forgotten, but quite undissolved. :)

Pretty sure it is/was a polypropylene food safe container. Regardless, not one that couldn't stand up to the solvent. But, thanks for your concern. It's still sitting on the shelf nearly a year later. Now flavorless and forgotten, but quite undissolved. :)

well, my experience with 190 proof and test cylinders....i switched to glass....

edit: not because i care about my heath, but the plastic ones would get deformed, and cloudy......i have seen the wonders of PTFE, and HDPE

edit #2: 98%? that's past the aziotrope? did you use molecular sieves to dry it? :mug:

Last edited:
Rainy day here, been bottling some cider and I made a "hop tea" to add to some of last fall's cider. So after tasting what I was working with and pondering the issue for a while, I believe the hop tea route would be the best way to add hops to non-hoppy beer. You can make the hop tea, pour it into a wine bottle and keep it in the fridge. The solid particles will settle out and you can add it to taste to whatever beer you are having at the time.

I can imagine alot of foam with certain types of beers, but others is more like "pours a glass, then pops in a pellet of hop as a flair to the drink..." This blender business seems like making a beer shake, though...lol
Hop milkshake sweet pastry IPA, it's the next big thing on untappd youbetcha.

well, my experience with 190 proof and test cylinders....i switched to glass....

edit: not because i care about my heath, but the plastic ones would get deformed, and cloudy......i have seen the wonders of PTFE, and HDPE

edit #2: 98%? that's past the aziotrope? did you use molecular sieves to dry it? :mug:
192 proof. I stand corrected. I try to keep some high proof Spirytus Rektyfikowany around the house as a solvent for making extracts and supplements. None of my basement mad scientist laboratory endeavors need anything so dry I'd have to bust out a molecular seive. Bonus points for the chemical terminology, btw. (Azeotrope). Is it actually spelled with an "i" in your part of the world?

192 proof. I stand corrected. I try to keep some high proof Spirytus Rektyfikowany around the house as a solvent for making extracts and supplements. None of my basement mad scientist laboratory endeavors need anything so dry I'd have to bust out a molecular seive. Bonus points for the chemical terminology, btw. (Azeotrope). Is it actually spelled with an "i" in your part of the world?

only in my head, i thought about correcting it. but auto-correct doesn't even think fermentor is a word.....

Back