Ok, crazy idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cammanron, going back to your original question and thought, I have done something similar with decanted supernatant left over after making a starter. It occurred to me that there was perfectly good alcohol in there and it would be a shame to waste it. Tossed in some hop cones, gave it a stir, squished them a bit, let it sit a bit, and then drank it pretty much by straining it through my teeth. Sounds awful and gross, but it was actually super refreshing and very hoppy from the aromatics. I posted the experience in here somewhere, where it pretty much got an "eww gross" sort of response. My "process" could certainly be refined. In any case, based on that experience, I'd say that it would and should work quite well, but I'd stick with whole cones or you'd have a lot of debris. If you don't have access to whole cones, the teabag suggestion sounded like an interesting idea. Go for it.

To get a feel for some hop flavors, I bought a sixer of Bud aluminum bottles. I unscrewed the lids and added a gram or two of different hops to each. After a few days I strained them and poured in a glass. Of the 6, one was a semi gusher. But overall, it kinda worked.

To get a feel for some hop flavors, I bought a sixer of Bud aluminum bottles. I unscrewed the lids and added a gram or two of different hops to each. After a few days I strained them and poured in a glass. Of the 6, one was a semi gusher. But overall, it kinda worked.

I know I saw an article about this. I have thought about trying it.

A few years ago I went through a process of making a hop tea. I then purchased some large screw top bottles of a malt liquor that I spiked with the tea. The general idea was that adding the hop tea would bring the malt liquor down to around a 5% beer. It worked well enough that I took a few to my homebrew club and people thought it was interesting. Though...

I found that just brewing 3/4 gallon batches of extract based single hop samplers (following a process similar to what I learned from Basic Brewing Radio) worked much better and produced a reasonably enjoyable Pale Ale style beer. That is generally what I do these days to try out new hops. Basically 1 lb of DME, 1 oz of hops, 3/4 gallons of water, 3 grams of US-05...no boil with a 10 minute steep, or a 10 minute boil.

The result is good? Because I want to test to bring different flavors. The tea hop seems to me a good idea. Can we make it with other tea? The infusion must be long?

Back