Ok, a Summer Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Looking for something like a peppery version of a beer that has allusions to a 7-up (I know don't give me no sh*t here lol.) Basically looking with that zing and refreshing quality when I am doing work outside on my house this summer that a standard beer lacks in 90 degree weather.

94.1% Belgian Pilsner
5.9% Acidulated Malt

Going to use 3711. Gravity to end at 1.004 or less and ending under 5% abv. I also want to add Lemon and Lime zest along with some portion of their juice too the beer at end end of the boil or perhaps a pasteurized must post fermentation.

I'm hoping the mix of acids (lactic and some citric from the citrus) will provide an additional complexity to the sourness given the basic grain bill.

Not really asking a question just wanted to bounce the concept off you guys and talk about it. What do you think?

I used some backwards engineering to attain:

Appearance: Extremely pale and effervescent-looking
Aroma: Big Citrus, Pepper, and a light malt background
Taste: Again big citrus, pepper, a complex sourness that is refreshing but not puckering, light Pilsner maltiness
Mouthfeel: Very light and silky, champagne-like, diet soda like
Overall: Very drinkable en masse, light bodied and refreshing that satisfies that need for re-hydration while providing some alcoholic relief on those extended outdoor projects.

It doesn't sound bad. I will say this though. Depending on how much citrus juice you add you might want more acidmalt. I did a saison not long ago with 25% acidulated. It's slightly sour but not like a beer made with pedio/lacto. Last pH measurement I took it was at about 3.5.

Poking around the intarwebs, several people have reported getting nice lemony taste using sorachi ace in their saisons.

Amarillo hops will give you some nice lemony flavor. If you're really wanting sour you should consider using some lactobacillus or one of the yeast blends that has this in it.

Excellent choice on the yeast, you may want to add lemon rind ( like 4oz) to the boil and ferment warm for the spiciness to really take hold.

I do one like this with Sorachi Ace as well , and secretly add a packet of Lemon Kool Aid to the fermenter.

I call mine ....John Lemmon , a tribute to that dead beatle , you can find the label on my website, it's kinda cool
www.hammersmithales.com

Using that yeast you will get massive attenuation. If you want to keep it as a refreshing beer that you can crush, I would keep the OG pretty low. Like 1.040-1.045. It sounds super tasty. You can start that yeast cooler than other Saison yeast, I got it to run as low as 65 and still hit 85%AA but it didn't have as much peppery spice flavor.

Back