Oily Film in Wort Pre-Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pint33

Reaction score
While brewing yesterday I saw an oily film on the wort the kettle, pre-boil. I was brewing a belgian pale.

During the sparge, as I collect wort from my mashtun, the wort trickles into the kettle and produces foam. The transfer hose is too short so the wort splashes into the kettle. Nothing new there, been brewing like that for years.

However this time the wort foam had a strange oily film. Almost like soap. This is pre-boil.

I've scoured this site and others and for the life of me just can't figure out what the oily soapy film is and I really want to RDWHAHB.

I never clean my kettle. I don't use Star San, I only use Iodophor on all of my plastics and carboys however I also use One Step in my carboys. One Step would not have gotten into the kettle.

Would Iodophor produce the rainbow slick? I always dilute to ~12.5ppm. I also dunk my immersion chiller in Iodophor for about 15 minutes prior to putting it into the kettle to chill down the wort. But that's post boil, and I saw the oily film pre-boil.

Perhaps there is hop residue in the kettle from previous brews...does hop oil produce that rainbow looking oil slick appearance?

Back