Oh, you didn't ask for ARGENTINIAN Cascades?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumprock

Reaction score
Yes, that's what was in the bag when I got home from the LHBS. Thought I had regular Cascades, but they are the S. American "nothing like cascades" cascades.

SO... what am I going to do with 2 oz. of these pellets? My intention was to brew up something like the Beecave Pale, but now I'm not so certain..

Can anyone give me a couple options for recipies using these? I've heard they are much like Tet or Spalt for aromas, but I'm not a big german beer maker.

Maybe some kind of Kolsch-like thing?

:(

Paging Revvy to the poncho wearing Gaucho Courtesy Phone.

I've never heard of the Argentinian Cascades turning out well. Sorry.

LOL... what I expected.

I just reached in the HBS fridge and didn't think to read the label, I just saw the word "cascade" and threw them in the basket. I searched around the forums and saw a few threads relating but no "oh yeah, try them in this!" with good results. :(

Just had the time to go over your SMaSH thread Revvy.

Citronella bug spray... yeah. Did it get any better over time?

(secretly wondering which brew-buddy I'm going to pawn these off to..)

Dump them now!

They are EVIL! Taste horrible!, and won't work in any known beer style.
(Maybe Prison Hootch?, No, not even that!)

This is the REAL reason England went to war with Argentina!
NOT the Falkland Islands, it was all caused by these hops!

They should be BANNED!!!!

BTW, can you tell I don't care for them much?

Surely if you just use them for bittering (60 min) they won't impart any particular strong flavour - I have no experience with this particular creature though.

This is interesting.

I have a batch that I thought was bad because I didn't wash off my copper after I assembled my immersion chiller. (I cleaned off the flux, but not all the oils off the copper) The beer is terrible. Due to my mismanagement of my beer notes, it could very well be that this batch is NOT the batch I first used the IC in, but rather a batch I did with Argentinitan cascades.

...and it could be the batch where both Argentinitan cascades were used, AND the first IC use.

But for sure, this batch is Argentinian cascades, and now I'm thinking that it was the hops that made my beer un-drinkable. Super bitter, with citronella-like flavors.

Argentine cascade have their place. They'll add some funky aroma and character to a good pale ale. I wouldn't use them for bittering, tho.

Anchor claims to use "cascade" in their Liberty Ale. They use argentine cascade.

Argentine cascade have their place. They'll add some funky aroma and character to a good pale ale. I wouldn't use them for bittering, tho.

Anchor claims to use "cascade" in their Liberty Ale. They use argentine cascade.

Really? I love the Anchor Liberty. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but anyone have ideas for a Liberty clone?

I was under the impression that the Argentine Cascades we're a relatively new hop variety, and Anchor Liberty is definitely not new at all, making it's first appearance in 1975.

They changed it up. I used to hate that beer...I think previously they did use regular cascade. Give it a try and buy some argentine cascade to smell side by side. It's dead on.

There are actually a few places you can get hops here. There is a spot in Greece that has a bunch of varieties. Though I haven't been there in a few months since I stocked up on hops.

There are actually a few places you can get hops here. There is a spot in Greece that has a bunch of varieties. Though I haven't been there in a few months since I stocked up on hops.

Sunset Hydroponics and brewing supply?

Yeah, the last few times I went there for anything other than hardware I was pretty disappointed. I couldnt even find substitutions for the substitutions of the hops I actually wanted to buy.

They're good for a new hydrometer or a pound of DME in a pinch, but I have yet to call it my LHBS... heh.

Just order your hops online. No brainer. Better prices, better selection. I still get yeast, some special grains, some knick-knacks, etc, at my LHBS. Occasionally some hops. But my bulk purchases (and some not so bulk) are always done via the internet.

...and if my LHBS wasn't ten minutes away, I'd be getting everything online.

Sunset Hydroponics and brewing supply?

Yeah, the last few times I went there for anything other than hardware I was pretty disappointed. I couldnt even find substitutions for the substitutions of the hops I actually wanted to buy.

They're good for a new hydrometer or a pound of DME in a pinch, but I have yet to call it my LHBS... heh.

Well, when was the last time you were there?

First time I went they didn't have much, but I suggested to the owner what hops he should have and he ordered a bunch and gave me a call when they came in (cascade, EKG, saaz, fuggle, amarillo, tettnang, columbus, ect.). I also asked him to order a sack of Marris Otter and Vienna and he also agreed. I then made a nice AG batch using ingredients purchased from them. I know they don't have the selection of an online store (which I usually use to purchase ingredients), but they are getting better and are up for suggestions.

Problem is, the owner doesn't brew and doesn't know much about it. He knows Rochester is lacking in the homebrewing department and he's trying to fill the gap. I think you should at least give the local business a shot so they can continue their supply and expand their products.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Let me know if you want to come to a brewing party. The more brewers, the merrier. :mug: :rockin:

Save them for the next time a mormon comes to your house and bums a beer off you. It will teach them a lesson for drinking the devil's poison. (okay, maybe it's not so funny but I live in Utah and get sick of mormon neighbors bumming beer off me when no one else is around!)

I love Argentine Cascades, but I wish they had been named differently. I think they went ahead and called them "Cascades" to sell more, but it's had an opposite effect in the long term.

If you are looking for a tried and true recipe for them, check out my Argentine Gold (in my recipes). I keep that beer as a staple, now. It's about time I brewed some more, too.

TL

Back