Oh what a difference the crush makes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottle-o-jeff

Reaction score
So since I started brewing all-grain batches about 9 months ago, I've always complained to myself about low efficiency. Towards the end of last year I pretty much gave up trying to improve it because I was doing all of the right things. I've been using the NMODBS method with "consistent" success. My efficiency was higher doing that than it was with any other method, but it still sucked.

Anyways, in an effort to save money and control more of my own destiny I bought a barley crusher. I kept every other variable the same in the batch I brewed yesterday (I also used the default gap setting), and my brewhouse efficiency went from 60% to 82%, and I even left a half gallon of 1.020 wort in my mash draining pot (no room in the kettle).

So basically I'm now saving another $8-10 per batch by crushing my own grain and being able to buy 2-row in bulk. If there's anyone on the fence, go for it. It's so much nicer being able to actually use the grain to its fullest extent. And to anyone who has been fighting terrible efficiency with a store crush, just know that if your processes are good then the crush is probably the reason.

:ban:

In Columbus, OH. There are pretty much only two LHBS choices. One place has the worst diy grain mill I have ever seen - you have to run it through at least twice. The other place uses a modified coffee grinder. This "other place" is a bit more expensive on the grains, but it's worth every penny. The diy drill attached to a roller-skate method gives me about 50-65% - the modified coffee grinder breaks 80% almost everytime.

I agree. I need to dial in my new mill but after that I should be back to the 80's. I don't plan to try and go any higher than that. I got 55% on my last brew since I didn't have the mill set tight enough. Live and learn.

Yep, I just did a batch on the BC set to .035. I threw in some rice hulls cuz I'm a scaredy cat.

82%. Now I have a new problem - I have grains measured out and mixed for two other brews calc'd at 75%. If they were to pull 80%, the OG would be out of style!!. I'll just through in some more hops and make another 1/2 gal.

Ordered a mill last week after my having my first 4 AG batches range from 55% to 80%.

Good to hear, bro!

I ordered my Barley Crusher last week after a 62% efficiency too. I've been ranging between 62 and 74% and that's just not where I want to be range wise.

Of course, I'm still learning too and I decided it was a good idea to fly sparge with a single braid... Sure that had something to do with it too.

I bought a BC as well. Very happy.

For me though, consistency is the key. There is really nothing wrong with having 70-75% efficiency. (or so at least I keep telling myself!!!!)

Which BC did you guys go with? I'm new to the forum but I've been all-graining for about a year now, having my grains crushed at the LHB and getting a wide range of efficiency numbers.

Well I can't say I went from 60 to 82% but I did see a 10% gain and still trying to really nail down the percentage but so far out of 6 brews with the barley crusher, they have all been 82-89%.

Probably not answering the question but I went with the infamous "Pasta Crusher" that's been talked about on the forum lately. 75% on first brew with it, but was slow so I roughed up the rollers really well but didn't set the gap right so 55% on the next. I've tightened up the gap and expect 75% or greater on this next one.

Which BC did you guys go with? I'm new to the forum but I've been all-graining for about a year now, having my grains crushed at the LHB and getting a wide range of efficiency numbers.

I went with "The" Barley Crusher. I'm sure you'll be happy with any grain mill, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you go with the BC.

The Barley Crusher Home

There are certainly less expensive alternatives that people say are just as good.

I hope to get my efficiency nailed down over my next few brews. I lost some of my settings in Beersmith, so I ended up with about a gallon of extra wort. Once I get all of that static I'll be happier. The only benefit to my 60% was that it was consistently right at 60%.

I am at 82% with the BC as well, it is a great machine.

What's the idea distance between the rollers?
and how do you measure it?

Go to an auto parts store and get a set of feeler gauges. They use them to gap things like spark plugs.

The BC comes gapped at .039" which will get you 80%+ eff. I run mine at .035".

You can play with the gap, but the factory setting really is excellent.

I went with the 15lb hopper.

I'm not looking for a big jump in efficiency, just CONSISTENCY.....

I actually want 70%. This will allow me to use more grains/less sparge water.

I know this thread is a week old, but with the crusher gapped at .035 or even at the factory setting .039, are you guys running it through twice or just once?

Back