Oh Please Say It Aint SO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obie

Reaction score
Oh god no! Racked into secondary Sunday night, and this what I found on top in my secondary carboy today when I came back from vacation. How bad is it? Can I just pump out the weird stuff on top?

IMG_20140306_200710_731_zpsb9f2c61a.jpg

IMG_20140306_200701_028_zps21134e5c.jpg

Siphon from beneath the unidentified fermentation objects (UFO), and leave the funk behind in the secondary. You may lose a beer or two, but small price for peace of mind.

Next time, skip the whole secondary process and leave everything in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

It's kinda fuzzy in this photo, it almost looks like it could be gas, but I would just leave it. If you have an infection I think transferring might lead to the same results. Monitor it over the next day or two for growth.

Only one section looks alarming to me.

If it's infected, pumping the top off won't help.

Give it a while. Lets see if it grows. It may very well just be yeast coming out of suspension and rising to the top.

I had a similar looking growth on my IIPA today. I just sanitized a measuring cup and scooped it out and added my dry hops. I'll check it again in a few days and see if it's returned. My sample didn't taste sour and the beer didn't smell bad so I'm not worried too about it, partly because my beer is over 9% ABV and partly because it has nearly half a pound of hops, which from what I understand are pretty good preservatives.

It's hard to tell for sure, but my guess is your beer is fine. I'm 50ish batches in and have had more alarming ufos without an infected batch. Proceed as normal.

I'd just monitor it and see if it grows. If it does then I'd siphon from underneath it and leave that crap behind. Hell, it might even make it better!

-ben

Back