Oh No! My Bluball Mojito!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xcorpia

Reaction score
So this is my first infected beer. It's basically a hard lemonade with fresh blueberries and mint leaves. Should I bottle it or dump it?

ForumRunner_20110612_021107.jpg

ForumRunner_20110612_021310.jpg

I moved the Bluball Mojito onto the counter-top to sample and rack into the bottling bucket. I sanitized my equipment and when I lokked into the carboy, the white stuff had dissapeared. :eek: It may have been a combination of yeast colonies and micro bubbles. Whatever it was it got mixed in the Mojito.

How does it taste?

I drank the hydro sample and it tasted real good, so I went ahead and bottled it. :ban:

Hard to say without having the full recipe and exact process for making it......

I tweaked a recipe I found in another site. Here's what I did + some more tweaks to make it better next time. This is for a 2.5 gallon batch:

Bluball Mojito

Batch Size: 2.5 Gallons
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.015 (Mne was actually 1.022)

-Frozen lime concentrate (frozen lime juice in supermarkets), enough to add up to 700 g of carbohydrates. It was about 3 and 1/3 cans for the brand I used
-1/2 lb Malto-Dextrin
-1/2 lb rice extract syrup
-1/2 lb lactose
-1/2 lb Extra Light DME
-1 pk US-05
-1/2 oz Yeast Nutrient
-1 bunch mint leaves (don't know how many oz, label doesn't say)
-16 oz frozen blueberries
-4 peppermint tea bags
-10 packets of splenda

Boil 1.75 gallons of water. Add malto-dextrin, rice extract, lactose and xtra light DME and boil for at least 5 minutes to dissolve all ingredients and sanitize. Cool and rack onto lime juice concentrate. Add yeast nutrient, aerate and pitch yeast directly onto wort

Ferment 1 week. Thaw blueberries and mush them while in the bag. Add to second carboy. Wash mint leaves well and place in ziplock bag. Bruise leaves in the bag using a pestle to extract flavor. Add bruised mint leaves and extracted juices into second carboy. Rack wort into second carboy on top of fruit and mint.

Ferment 1 week. Boil 1/3 cup sugar with 1 cup of water and add to bottling bucket. Rack mojito into bottling bucket. Stir in 10 packets of Splanda. Prepare 4 bags of peppermint tea in 1/2 amount of required water. Cool and add to mojito. Bottle and condition for 2 weeks.

Enjoy ice cold :tank:

So, the blueberries and mint aren't sanatized? Maybe they brought something in? Also, whats the Splenda for, just added sweetnes? So you would scale that up too for larger batches?

Komodo said:
So, the blueberries and mint aren't sanatized? Maybe they brought something in? Also, whats the Splenda for, just added sweetnes? So you would scale that up too for larger batches?

I wouldn't know how to sanitize them. I think frozen blueberries are cleaned (probably sanitized) at the packaging plant and someone told me I can sanitize the mint by soaking in a diluted bleach solution but I didn't just to not compromise the flavor.

The splenda's for added sweetness.

I would just double the ingredients (minus the yeast) for a 5 gallon batch.

I wouldn't know how to sanitize them. I think frozen blueberries are cleaned (probably sanitized) at the packaging plant and someone told me I can sanitize the mint by soaking in a diluted bleach solution but I didn't just to not compromise the flavor.

Vodka. :D

Bonus, you can save and drink the vodka once you strain the blueberries and mint out. Shouldt make a nice cocktail.

JetSmooth said:
Vodka. :D

Bonus, you can save and drink the vodka once you strain the blueberries and mint out. Shouldt make a nice cocktail.

You learn something new every day in this forum. Thanks for the tip! I'll post an update once the mojito's carbed. :)

In case you are interested in the recipe this little experiment turned out to be great! :ban: It's super refreshing and all the non-beer drinkers I've given it to have enjoyed it so far. So for those of you who can't seem to brew a beer your SWMBO likes, this might be it (even though its a cooler and not a beer, but who cares!) :mug:

Back