OH MY GOD MY LEGS (exercise pain thread)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got back from the Monkey Bar Gym; my legs are dead. I can barely walk up stairs.

Yesterday, we did a bunch of cardio type stuff which also smoked my legs; today was strength training so of course that meant squats. One hundred of them. And not just any squats but these:

Fortunately, I have a wife to go get daddy a beer and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:
A trainer once told me, "It's not the day after, it's the day after the day after".

Enjoy your beer!

Oh, don't be a wuss! hehehe
I hate squats. I bet they make you do them in hell for sure. Congrats for trying to get into shape though. I can't ever seem to get to the gym anymore myself. A career and 4 kids takes all my free time.

I can't wait until tomorrow when we do more insane cardio ****. Oh well, after the first week of punishment my muscles will get used to it again.

It is funny this post comes up today. I have been hitting the gym really hard (err... hitting it like I USED TO before i took a 3 month break) and I did legs on Monday. I can barely walk today... I feel like such a goof. Im walking kinda like I got a stick in my rear . . . . .

If the soreness continues, try pickle juice or apple cider vinegar. i think it's like 4 oz. of either.

And, if it's possible, get a creatine drink to do with your work outs and before bed, immediately afterwards, have a protein drink/shake, and take a glutamine suppliment drink before bed.

Oh yeah, and time will help with the soreness.

The first time i did the plyometrics workout on p90x, my legs were wasted. But since then, the workouts haven't been that bad. The last Back/Legs workout was pretty tough but only cause I added a bunch of extra squats with and extra 100lbs weight.

It took me a long time to learn starting slow and building up would save me a lot of pain and injury when starting up an exercise program after being off for a while. Also allowed me to continue without waiting for me to recover. Sure, you need to push yourself to grow stronger but later it is less likely you will come to work the next day looking like a cripple. But I am no expert and I am sure some will disagree and say hit it hard.

Be careful with squats. I used to do them with the 100 or so extra pounds on my back and one night I felt good and pushed it. I felt ok but then the knee swelling started and after surgery it took about 2 years before my knee fully recovered and I was doing squats for years.

A trainer once told me, "It's not the day after, it's the day after the day after".

+1!

Had a big leg workout on Monday and knew on my way home that my legs were going to kill me. They felt like they wanted to just buckle and let me fall on the ground.

They hurt pretty bad on Tuesday, but on WEDNESDAY... good christ! I was walking slow and hardly bending my knees.

Getting better today....

I was a ******* on the 4th of July and hopped a fence to chase down a model rocket.

I'm not graceful anymore.

High ankle sprain. Still swollen and hurts like hell if I drive or walk too long.

What's with all the high rep stuff guys? Leave that for the girls. How about some heavy squats and lunges? Squat on leg day, Deadlift on back day, Bench on chest day, throw in whatever accessory lifts you want, eat protein, and get big.

... and lose flexibility.

Actually you should do some of both to gain strength and maintain flexibility. 4 or 5 weeks of high reps and low weight. 2 or 3 weeks of of medium reps and medium weights. 2 week low reps and high weights.

Actually, theres no correlation between lifting heavy and flexibility. You dont lose flexibility from lifting heavy.

Everyone has different goals, there's people who have squatted heavy (by squat I mean parallel or bellow parallel, not 1/4 squats like 90% of people do) and have no issues.

Then there's people who do high rep and cant walk after a year.

Do what you do and enjoy it, I think we can all agree that delayed onset muscle soreness is a *****!

Really light stuff the next day is my preffered method of getting rid of soreness. Light sled dragging or just taking leisurly walks for legs. High volume reverse hypers for lower bad soreness, although gyms with a reverse hyper are pretty rare. Fortunately I dont get sore very often.

If you want to go extreme contrast shows work good. About 30-60 seconds of hot water followed by 15-30 seconds of cold. I hate these way to much to make them a habit though.

Did my normal warm-up this morning and then.

20 minutes of rowing.

400m for time
rest for same time
rinse and repeat till time expires.

2800m

Ahh, legs don't hurt as much this week. Still some soreness but my body's getting used to this again. I wonder what today's exercise is?

DAMMIT!

Did my normal warm-up this morning and then.

20 minutes of rowing.

400m for time
rest for same time
rinse and repeat till time expires.

2800m

What's up, fellow CrossFitter? Did you watch any of the games? Some crazy stuff last weekend. And this week we get WODs based on some of the events. Yesterday was 3 rounds of 30 toes-to-bar and 21 clean & jerks, 10 minute cap.

Meaty- That gym looks awesome! Do you go to the brick-and-mortar or are you do some other program?

info pleeze
Yeah, I have a membership there. They've got good trainers and a pretty decent facility. I just look at the videos to figure out what we're doing on a particular day but you could just as easily stay home and knock yourself out in front of your computer.

Oh, also they have a climbing rope, which is one of my goals.

http://monkeybargym.com/

What's up, fellow CrossFitter? Did you watch any of the games? Some crazy stuff last weekend. And this week we get WODs based on some of the events. Yesterday was 3 rounds of 30 toes-to-bar and 21 clean & jerks, 10 minute cap.

No. I am still a pup with my crossfit. I haven't been able to goto my gym, so been using the web and the new work gym to make a WOD. It has only been a few months but will I ever be able to do an unassisted pull-up or even a real push up?

No. I am still a pup with my crossfit. I haven't been able to goto my gym, so been using the web and the new work gym to make a WOD. It has only been a few months but will I ever be able to do an unassisted pull-up or even a real push up?

As long as you stick with it and always work hard, you'll be doing stuff you never thought you could. I couldn't do an unassisted pull-up when I started. Eight months later, I can do sets of 5-10 deadhang pull-ups and do around 20 continuous kipping pull-ups. I could do regular push-ups when I started, but now I can do sets of 5-7 handstand push ups (against a wall). If I had focused solely on pull-ups/push-ups I could probably do more by now, but since CrossFit is more general than that I've improved my strength, flexibility, balance, endurance, body awareness.

If you're doing most of this on your own, be sure to read lots of stuff on the main site. Not necessarily the WODs, but descriptions of exercises, how to scale certain exercises (substitutes for pull-ups/push-ups/etc.), and even dieting stuff. You can find lots of good info on the CrossFit discussion board too.

Man, I'm dead again after this workout. Plus I threw up the burger I had for lunch when I got home.

As long as you stick with it and always work hard, you'll be doing stuff you never thought you could. I couldn't do an unassisted pull-up when I started. Eight months later, I can do sets of 5-10 deadhang pull-ups and do around 20 continuous kipping pull-ups. I could do regular push-ups when I started, but now I can do sets of 5-7 handstand push ups (against a wall). If I had focused solely on pull-ups/push-ups I could probably do more by now, but since CrossFit is more general than that I've improved my strength, flexibility, balance, endurance, body awareness.

If you're doing most of this on your own, be sure to read lots of stuff on the main site. Not necessarily the WODs, but descriptions of exercises, how to scale certain exercises (substitutes for pull-ups/push-ups/etc.), and even dieting stuff. You can find lots of good info on the CrossFit discussion board too.

Crossfit rocks. Some of the stuff is technical (like olympic lifting), but most of it is pretty simple and just takes guts and heart. I used to do it religiously, now I just do a WOD or two per week. Great stuff, and it always keeps things fresh! Good to see crossfitters out there!

Got sick. Started back today. 5 rounds for time: 5 Deadlifts & 10 Burpees. 14min. I almost passed out doing burpees back in April.

Yesterday I ran two miles for time and did multiple sets of crunches, squats, back domes, and some clean and jerks. So I took today off. Woof.

Lunch for the past two days has been chicken, kale with cranberries, quinoa with zucchini and chickpeas, and various fruit juices. Not so bad, but tonight is T-bone on the grill night so I'll crack a beer too.

Latest posts

Back