OG too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
Hello,

Been brewing for a bit now but never had this happen. Brewed a porter (extract partial mash) and the OG was supposed to be 1.054 but turned out 1.034. I'm pretty sure its because our bucket was not graduated and we added water up to the "stain line" which we thought was 5 gallons. On closer inspection the next day we def. added too much water.

Is there any way to boost the gravity now? Some more extract in water? If so, any way to calculate it? Is 1.034 way too far off?

Thanks for any and all replies.

You want to boil extract, so I hope you dig session beers. You will probably be happier with a 3% beer as opposed to a beer with sugar added late to add alcohol. Chalk it up as a learning experience. One of my favorite beers had an OG of 1.038 and was intended to be 1.050. Although, that was AG batch so it wouldn't have a watered down character like yours might. Maybe someone else has a remedy...

Thanks for the advice. I don't really care about ABV, I'm just worried it will be too watery. Oh, well. Like you said, a learning experience

Adding sugar will only make it thinner. You could add a bit of malto dextrin. I'd look at making a stronger beer and blending the two.

1034 is a nice OG for mild and it has pretty much the same ingredients as porters.
They are just mashed at a higher temperature so they are a tad sweeter and more body then the OG would suggest.
Call it a mild and have done.

Back