OG too high, extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshell

Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen twice on consecutive batches. Followed recipes exactly, then after cooling wort, topped up to 5 gallons and took a reading. Significantly higher than recipe (1.080 vs. 1.060, for example). Each time I've added additional water (nearly a gallon). In first case brought the gravity down to recipe, in second case, still too high.

Interesting thing is that after fermentation, FG in both cases hit the recipe spec almost exactly. First batch came out well, second is now in secondary.

Any thoughts on why this might happen? (I'm relatively new to brewing, but my first 4 or 5 batches hit the OG mark very closely).

thanks

If you used a quality extract kit, use all the ingredients and hit the proper volumes you HAD the right gravity. It is very common to have problems getting a real good mix when adding top up water. Your gravity sample was likely taken from wort that was not mixed well with the top up water.

If you used a quality extract kit, use all the ingredients and hit the proper volumes you HAD the right gravity. It is very common to have problems getting a real good mix when adding top up water. Your gravity sample was likely taken from wort that was not mixed well with the top up water.

+1 to this EXACTLY!
I usually transfer from kettle to pail and then take my OG sample. Well aerated and thoroughly mixed.

The other thing(s) that could be happening are:
1) VERY inaccurate hydrometer or refractometer
2) wort sample is not at calibrated temperature of hydrometer or refractometer.

This. If you use a good quality kit and follow the directions, you really can't NOT hit the OG. The sugars are already factored in. This is supported to a degree by your FG coming out as expected. When using kits, I don't even take an OG anymore, I use the middle of the range they expect. I always hit the FG correctly. FWIW.

HBT had and article where the writer showed a picture of StarSan stratifying in the carboy, according to his scientific experience, this is what liquids do, they don't like to mix, they like to stratify.

With a kit, no worries. With AG, I mix very thoroughly before taking a reading, then take multiple readings, which never completely agree.

Well Starsan or not...with extract brewing, there is more stratifying with your boiled extract vs top off water. Unless you really screw something off...your gravity readings SHOULD be what the extract recipes are. Usually, when you pull a sample right from an extract brew, it might be a bit low since the higher gravity solution is towards the bottom of solution. Because it is harder to get a gravity reading with extract brewing, I think it is more important to go by your estimated gravity (since with extract brewing, it should be spot on if volumes are right).

It's not hard to get an accurate hydrometer reading. you have to get the chilled wort into the fermenter first. I pour mine through a fine mesh strainer to aerate it & get the gunk out. Then pour gallons of chilled spring water from a height into the fermenter to recipe volume. This also aerates a bit & helps mix the two. Then use my plastic paddle to stir it roughly 5 minutes to mix & aerate a lil more. Then take gravity reading.

Remember to its 5 gallons. If you don't account for trub that could boost your OG. I find when I do extract I have to add an extra 1/2 to full gallon due to so much trub. Just a thought.

It's 5 gallons total volume,true. But that's why I pour the chilled wort through a fine mesh strainer. come bottling day,I have usually about 3/8" of trub & yeast compacted on the bottom. I got no more than 1/2" a couple times. gotta strain all that gunk out,imo. Better that then chancing thinning the beer out to account for trub loos of a gallon or so. That's a bit much to me.

unionrdr said:
It's 5 gallons total volume,true. But that's why I pour the chilled wort through a fine mesh strainer. come bottling day,I have usually about 3/8" of trub & yeast compacted on the bottom. I got no more than 1/2" a couple times. gotta strain all that gunk out,imo. Better that then chancing thinning the beer out to account for trub loos of a gallon or so. That's a bit much to me.

Agreed. Although I have made quite a mess with straining so I said F it and just dumped it in. :)

If your beer is totally fermented it does not thin out due to trub loss. The only effect is the amount of beer available to be bottled/kegged.

I never strain. It has no effect on the final beer other than how much trub is in the bottom of the fermenter. I do hop in strainer bags though.

kh54s10 said:
If your beer is totally fermented it does not thin out due to trub loss. The only effect is the amount of beer available to be bottled/kegged.

I never strain. It has no effect on the final beer other than how much trub is in the bottom of the fermenter. I do hop in strainer bags though.

I think he means using top off water and adding more water to account for trub which is what I do instead of straining the trub.

it will water out or lower your AVB if you miscalculate and add more water than desired..i may have done this once or twice but ive gotten good at it through out the years

How much water are you adding to account for 3/8 - 1/2 inch of trub in the fermenter???? Why bother, I have only had about 1 bottle difference in batches due to trub.

Back on topic somewhat - adding extra top up water, not per the recipe to account for trub would change both the OG and the final beer. Though the changes would be minimal unless you are adding a lot of water.

kh54s10 said:
How much water are you adding to account for 3/8 - 1/2 inch of trub in the fermenter???? Why bother, I have only had about 1 bottle difference in batches due to trub.

Back on topic somewhat - adding extra top up water, not per the recipe to account for trub would change both the OG and the final beer. Though the changes would be minimal unless you are adding a lot of water.

Half in none really. But on my IPAs stouts I lose about a half gallon. Cream ales and lighter beers I don't lose much. But this was an example for the OP. say he he filled shy of five gallons and had 1/2 to 1/4 trub loss. Could boost his ABV.

To loose 1/4 to half gallon due to trub loss,you'd have to keep every speck of gunk,hop trub,etc in there. I use sacks for hops,dual layer fine mesh strainer going into fermenter for any grain/hop stuff or cold break. That's how I get only 3/8" or so of cmpacted trub. strain everything out rather than leaving it all in there now,cause i'm lazy & impatient to finish. A little extra time spent now means more beer going to packaging later. Instead of 46-48 bottles with the thick gunk layer,I get 48 to 53 bottles. Maybe 54+ sometimes. A 6 gallon batch yields me 67+ bottles. Use sacks for hops,etc,strain all into the fermenter now to save aggrevation later by loosing beer making a mess trying to squeeze it out at bottling time.

Hi,

Interesting discussion, but doesn't answer my basic question.
1. This was from a recipe from my LHBS, not a kit.
2. If my reading was bad and I added unnecessary water to top up, I would expect FG to come in too low.

Hi,

2. If my reading was bad and I added unnecessary water to top up, I would expect FG to come in too low.

Still kind of a kit as these guys would describe it. If you used just the extract in the recipe, added water up to 5 gallons, your gravity is likely very very close to what the recipe said it would be.

If your reading came from a poorly mixed sample, (likely) you could have gotten more concentrate in your sample and less of the top up water. Making your gravity reading appear high because you got a heavily concentrated sample,

These guys kinda got off topic talking about trub.

If you followed the recipe, and only added water to 5 gallons then you have nothing to worry about, it would take a serious serious mistake to screw up the gravity on an all extract batch, and from the sounds of it, you didn't make one

Hi,

Why would your FG come in too low if you added a bit more water? It shouldn't affect the FG.

+1 on not having a well mixed sample.
Post your recipe and volumes and most people here can tell you what you OG really is.

Back