OG Seems kinda high...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normivey

Reaction score
I just brewed a Brewer's Best American Pale Ale kit. The kit calls for an OG of 1.051-1.055. Mine came in at about 1.08 at room temperature. I took the reading after topping off to 5 gallons. The only change I made to the recipe was that I tossed the sugar that was including for priming into the boil (I keg). I expected the corn sugar to raise the OG slightly, but not by quite that much. It also tasted very sweet--sweeter than ales I've brewed.

I'm not too concerned--hopefully, it just means a little more alcohol in the final product. Any ideas about what might have happened?

With an extract brew, OG will be as planned as long as you add the right amount of everything and have the volume as planned. Priming sugar won't change gravity nearly that much. Usually, it's a matter of stratification in the fermenter, although it seems like top-off water would give you a low reading.

After you added your top off water did you shake it up?

No. I pulled my sample just after adding my top off water. I didn't agitate my wort until just before I pitched my yeast. That probably explains it, though I would anticipate a lower reading with the top-off water sitting on top of the denser wort. Perhaps there was enough of a temperature difference to lift the wort. Thanks for the feedback.

With an extract brew, OG will be as planned as long as you add the right amount of everything and have the volume as planned. Priming sugar won't change gravity nearly that much. Usually, it's a matter of stratification in the fermenter, although it seems like top-off water would give you a low reading.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, the top-off water should have been sitting on top of the wort (I did not agitate until after I pulled my sample). Curious.

Normivey, I agree. I was thinking you were taking you're sample from a spigot like I do.

If you took the sample from the lower part of the wort column, it would give a false high reading. That would explain it to me. always mix the wort & top off well for some 5 minutes before taking the OG sample.

Back