OG Reading (Efficiency)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Finished up my ESB and got a few extra points. So what is more likely the reason?

I filled my brew pot with the extra water I'd need and dunked my BIAB grain bag in it several times prior to my usual pour through my colander type sparge with 3 qts. Maybe I did a better job at getting my sugars.

The other thing I noted was how my initial mash temp was around 154*, but had dropped to 150* after 35 mins, and then down to 147* after another 35 mins.

Could the lower mash temp yield a higher gravity reading or did I just get a higher efficiency with my sparge?

When you sparge, there is a limit to how much sugars the water will dissolve and there is more dissolved with more time. You have seen the results of both. Good job.

With your pour through sparge you simple didn't get all the sugars. By dunking you got more. Then when you did a pour through you got a little more.

I usually have had 80% or so efficiency when pouring and pressing.

Back