OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigantor

Reaction score
Last week I did a batch of 3 Hearted from Northern Brewer. Their site says OG 1064. I forgot to take an initial reading before I pitched the yeast..

Yesterday I got 1020, today 1015. What am I shooting for? I get a bit confused when it comes to OG / FG

This page has the instructions that came with the kit, but nothing about OG or FG
http://northernbrewer.com/docs/html/extract.html

Thanks for any help

Since it's extract, your OG will be pretty much what the recipe predicts since you are using a predetermined amount of sugars in the extract. (Unlike all-grain where your brewing efficiency is a factor in how much sugars you extract from your grains in the mash.).

The FG depends on the attenuation of the yeast you are using, your fermentation temperature, etc. I'd suggest taking measurements for several days in a row after the signs of active fermentation has stopped (no bubbling from the airlock, etc.).

If you get the same gravity in subsequent readings, you're probably safe to bottle.

Back