OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuhammer14

Reaction score
Will I get signifigantly different OG readings with different types of water? I have not used my hydrometer yet and I want to calibrate it yet. Is simple tap water ok to use for that, or should I used distilled, spring, etc...

The OG is the ammount of sugar content and in terms of water, having the right PH will drive the enzymes to convert better which means more sugar and better efficiency..but i dont think water will result in different OG i think having a good mash conversion will..so its about the PH more then the source water..and yes any water should be good to calibrate your hydrometer just make sure it is at the correct temp..usually 60*F but check your hydrometer it will tell you

Don't think you can calibrate a hydrometer per say but if you put in the same water you use for your brew then it will give you a good starting point . One thing I learned the hard way is make sure you either treat your water or use spring water . Untreated water will give you a bad tasting beer I use crystal springs and seems to work well for me

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Don't think you can calibrate a hydrometer per say but if you put in the same water you use for your brew then it will give you a good starting point . One thing I learned the hard way is make sure you either treat your water or use spring water . Untreated water will give you a bad tasting beer I use crystal springs and seems to work well for me

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

yeah thats true its more to see if its accurate rather then calibrate..if water reads 1.000 its accurate

Use distilled water to check the calibration of your hydrometer. The calibration temperature is printed near the base of the card inside the hydrometer. Calibration temperature is usually 60°F or 68°F. A correctly calibrated hydrometer should read 1.000 in distilled water, at the calibration temperature, for your hydrometer.

If it's off when you check it with water, adjust your readings by that amount. Be sure the calibration check is adjusted for temperature.

Back