OG out of range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyskier

Reaction score
The OG specification for a Belgium Carmel Wit I brewed was supposed to be .058 - .062. I added to much water and started with .054. I took a gravity reading after 7 days and got .028 and at 9 days got .020, so I have an ABV of about 4.4% on a beer that should have about 5.5%. My concern is that the fermentation appears to have just stopped at day 9 when it was still very active on day 8. I know I should not worry about it, but with the screw up on the OG will this beer get to its potential ABV? Also, the attenuation is really crappy thus far. This is only my second brew. My first tastes great, but I screwed the OG up a little on that one. The beer tastes great, but it has a low ABV of 4.2% and seems watery.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

What strain of yeast did you use, Belgian wit yeast can take a few weeks to reach terminal gravity. Also was this extract or all grain, what your mash temp if all grain, and what temp are you fermenting at?

White Labs Belgian Yeast. LME and specialty grains. Grains steeped for 1/2 hour at 152 and rinsed with 168. Fermenting at 72 and today is day 10

patience. wait another week and then check the gravity. its still a little early to be finished fermenting

Yes another week or two may be needed, try raising the temp a few more degrees and rouse the yeast if you don't see a change in another week.

Thanks for the advice! I don't know what happened, but today I have an endless stream of bubbles through the air-lock. The yeast got its second wind! Its fermenting stronger than the first go around and its on day 11. I had to move the vessel and jostled it around a bit. Maybe that helped to kick it off.

Back