OG low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookmysock

Reaction score
Brewed a 14 litre batch yesterday expecting OG of 1052 but got 1044. Used 2.5kg Vienna and 0.8kg pale. I realised during the sparge I read the wrong number off the software and used water at 78 deg C instead of 88 deg C. (ie a difference of 18 deg F for those of you deseprately trying to convert) I'm using a water to grain ratio of 3. Boil was for one hour

By screwing up the sparge water temperature, could this be the man reason for the low OG?

Too low of a sparge temp could be why you hit a lower OG... I find that when I hit my sparge temps properly, my OG is on target with what I figured I'd get. If it's lower than what I should have, then my OG is less. Only a few % less though. Last batch was 4% off the efficiency I figured I'd get.

I would work to get your temperatures correct for every batch. Whatever that entails, since it will be different for each person's hardware configuration. Personally, I'm working to get a keg converted into a mash tun that I'll be able to direct fire and recirculate (to avoid scorching the grains) to get to sparge/mash-out temps. I'll use my existing mash tun coolers as HLT's to hold the sparge water. I'll need to get a pump, but I was already planning on doing that. I hope to have this setup ready come my next batch (<2 weeks from now)... I expect to have a couple of batches to 'dial-in' the new hardware. Once I get a stable efficiency range (hopefully a tight one) I'll be able to formulate my recipes better. I'm not doing so bad right now, since I enter the average for the range. But I'd like to have a tighter/closer range to average. Plus, the 1/2 bbl mash tun will be good to have for when I go to 10 gallon batches. :D

BTW, how much water did you actually mash and sparge with?? I'll probably have to fire up the UK to US converter so that I can wrap my beer-soaked brain around the numbers... :drunk:

with 3.3 kg (7.3#) of grain I used 10 litres (2.64 gal) of mash water. Sparge water anothe 10 litres. Next post I'll use some more metric units to confuse the heck out of everyone. Regardless I will continue my campaign to bring the USA into the realm of proper measurements :D

Back