OG gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
So just brewed coopers IPA with 500gr light malt muntons and roughly 300gram dextrose

My of turned out a bit lower then i normally get at 1.035ish, im usually well above 1.045 or around there....

Temp was taken at 23 temp..... Does this addd up? 5 gallon batch

So just brewed coopers IPA with 500gr light malt muntons and roughly 300gram dextrose

My of turned out a bit lower then i normally get at 1.035ish, im usually well above 1.045 or around there....

Temp was taken at 23 temp..... Does this addd up? 5 gallon batch

With temperature correction it looks like about 1.036, assuming 23C is really about 73F and your hydrometer is calibrated for 60F. Is it possible the mixture was not blended/stirred well before you pulled the sample? How much water was used with those sugars?

it was 100% blended because i did a full 5 gallon semi boil, so it mixed very well.

its calibraited at 60 yep

its dead on the 30 mark that would be 1.03 right

Sorry... I have to convert for my own benefit.

17.5oz muntons (500g) - is this liquid or dry?
10oz dextrose (300g)

That's hardly anything at all. I think you've got something wrong in that recipe and/or gravity reading. If I were to put that stuff in 5 gallons of water, the gravity would only be 1.016.

Hang on a second,

I used the coopers kit which is 3.3lbs of LME pre hopped
then added the 500gr DME
and 300gr dextrose

ah! Ok... that makes a lot more sense!

For what it's worth, ProMash softwares says that this would be 1.040 OG. Your history says you get 1.045 and this batch is 1.035, so....

are you sure you have 5 gallons. 5.5 gallons would make 1.037. 4.5 gallons would be 1.045.

Those ingredients for me in beersmith:

5 gallons of water
3.3 lbs Pale liquid extract
1.1 lbs Light DME
.55 lbs of dextrose

Show up for me as being an OG of 1.038

Damnit it must be the water, I "eyed" out about 3 litres which may have turned out more.

CRAP. hope this beer isnt REALLY weak.

If you have it, you could always boil down some more dme and add the solution. That would increase your gravity some but would likely kill some of the hoppiness your probably looking for in an IPA. 1.045 is a pretty low starting gravity for an American IPA anyway. Worst case, youve made a hoppy session beer.

Hmmm I do have DME actually......

Would this effect my yeast or anything? How much DME should i boil down and add? I really need some help here guys. I dont wanna make anything worse lol I also have a lot of dex i could use.

Assuming I dont touch anything what would the Alc level be?

Yeast should be fine.

Another 500g should bring it up to where you wanted. If you boil this relatively thick (you want to add as little water as possible...) and then add it to the fermenter and mix, I think you will be fine.

In fact, you could take some wort out and boil that with the DME and put that back in to be sure you don't further increase volume.

Hops will probably be fine.

Can't help you with the alcohol content. I don't ever pay attention to FG or anything.

Latest posts

Back