OG and FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
Good evening,

I just bottled my latest beer. And checked a final gravity. The OG was 1.04 the FG was 0.94. equaling 13.13 abv that seems way to high. Could that be accurate? It is a wort challenge I re-boiled 2 of the 5 gallons added 2 tbsp. coriander, 2 oz. of cascade hops with 15 min left. 1 oz of New Zealand Pacific pellet hops and 1 oz. of new Zealand Hallertau hops at 2 minutes. Then 3 Jalapeno chilies, 3 Serrano chilies and 3 Bunches of cilantro at flame out. I used Wyeast pacman yeast.
Let it ferment then bottled at day 10, mostly at 68 degrees.

Mike :tank:

Sounds like your readings are way off. Beer rarely ferments below 1.000, and your FG reading is 60 gravity points below that.

Incidentally, what were you going for with that recipe - it sounds absolutely bonkers (in an intriguing way, not necessarily a bad way).

There's something seriously wrong with your FG reading. 0.940 is unheard of. Did you mean 0.994 by any chance? That would still be very low and might indicate an infection thinning out your beer like crazy.

Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer for SG. If it is a refractometer the readings need to be corrected to compensate for the alcohol skewing the results.

Back