Official Phoenix Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pueblo Vida is also great but they're basically in Mexico ;) . greenhorn can confirm

Confirmed. I really like their beer, I wish we got kegs up in Phoenix.

Layover 12-8pm on a Monday (6/5). Wren House and great food places are on the agenda +/- other good breweries, beer/cocktail bars, cool Phoenix things to check out in a short time.

I'd recommend Wandering Tortoise as an awesome beer bar just down the street from Wren. Have a to-go cooler as well.

It would certainly be easier to stay in the general area of Wren/Tortoise, more or less Central Phx. Helton, Helio Basin, Mother Bunch, Sun Up, and the new Huss Uptown taproom (breweries), Angels Trumpet (beer bar), and the previously mentioned Kings Convenience are all nearby. Out of all of those, I'd suggest Huss (was really impressed with their small bites/charcuterie), Angels Trumpet, and a stop by Kings. If you make it out of that bubble, I'd also recommend McFate (I greatly prefer the North location) and Scottsdale Beer Company (right down the street from McFate North.) Arizona Wilderness is of course popular but that is a bit of a drive into Gilbert.

Last edited:
There's no Tucson thread and not sure how many T-locs we have around here, so I'll just post this here...

I can't say enough about Pueblo Vida, they are absolutely crushing the IPA game in AZ. They just released a new recipe of Monswoon in cans and it's stellar. Rivals most of what I've had from Trill and I just don't throw compliments like that around.

XSkuexp.jpg

Did this make it out of Phoenix? I'll be in Flagstaff in a couple weeks and was curious.

I know it been tapped around town, and in Tucson as well. Not sure about Flag. If you happen to make it down to Phx I have a can for you.

Will continue to post here, whether or not anyone is reading.

This sounds heavenly.

Were these released? A buddy in the area is sending me a Wren House bottle and I can't figure out what it is... ha

He sent me a pic of the bottles that he was getting ready to box up and I can only see a really small portion of the label.

greenhorn any idea what the circled bottle is? He said it was some society release from Wren House. I just don't know anything about them. Excited to try that Peaches & Cream IPA doe.

xT9tayL.jpg

greenhorn any idea what the circled bottle is? He said it was some society release from Wren House. I just don't know anything about them. Excited to try that Peaches & Cream IPA doe.

xT9tayL.jpg

Maple Peak has not been released yet but should be imminent.

The bottle above looks like Midnight Lady, blend of 2016/2017 Who Hit John rested on vanilla beans. Just had it on Saturday, it's roasty deliciousness.

Don't mind the incorrect beer in my glass, my drunk arse thought it would be funny to take #properglassware pic like that.

jCg57Xd.jpg

Maple Peak has not been released yet but should be imminent.

The bottle above looks like Midnight Lady, blend of 2016/2017 Who Hit John rested on vanilla beans. Just had it on Saturday, it's roasty deliciousness.

Don't mind the incorrect beer in my glass, my drunk arse thought it would be funny to take #properglassware pic like that.

jCg57Xd.jpg

I can always count on TB... Thanks man!

came in from San Diego to spend the holiday weekend with the family in Scottsdale.... any tips on AZ beer releases or breweries to hit up... i hit up Wren House last year and might go again (at least on the way back west on Sunday). i have had good times at AZ Wilderness (near my old house) too....

is Tombstone available anywhere? worth seeking out?

In Scottsdale, go to McFate Brewing (decent enough, not world changing) and if you’re in old town, head over to Papago (local institution, only open another week or so). Keep an eye out for Mother Road beer too (tower station specifically). Enjoy, my folks just arrived from Phoenix a couple hours ago!

Aren’t u supposed to be in the SD thread :p

Isn’t McFate a re-brand of Fate? If so, I’ve been there before and like there beers... sad about Papago, that place has been an institution here forever (I was in grad school at ASU from ‘00-‘06)... back then, the main hangs were (early) 4Peaks, Papago, Casey Moore’s, RulaBula.

Good to know about Mother Road, I’ll keep an eye out.

I may just grind the 30min drive and grab a bunch of crowlers at Wren House for the weekend....

In Scottsdale, go to McFate Brewing (decent enough, not world changing) and if you’re in old town, head over to Papago (local institution, only open another week or so). Keep an eye out for Mother Road beer too (tower station specifically). Enjoy, my folks just arrived from Phoenix a couple hours ago!

Aren’t u supposed to be in the SD thread :p

Isn’t McFate a re-brand of Fate? If so, I’ve been there before and like there beers... sad about Papago, that place has been an institution here forever (I was in grad school at ASU from ‘00-‘06)... back then, the main hangs were (early) 4Peaks, Papago, Casey Moore’s, RulaBula.

Good to know about Mother Road, I’ll keep an eye out.

I may just grind the 30min drive and grab a bunch of crowlers at Wren House for the weekend....
Don’t tell anyone in the SD thread that I’m from Phoenix, otherwise people will not take my fish taco suggestions seriously. Sage and benbikes4beer have barely accepted it. McFate is indeed just a rebranded Fate due to a legal dispute with a brewery out of Colorado.

Other fun beer suggestions would be Angel’s Trumpet downtown, which is within walking distance to a big public market (blanking on the name right now) with good food.

Back to San Diego life, time for dinner at El comal and then wandering down to modern times and blacking out at toronado. And then up early to traeger some turkey!

I hit up Angels Trumpet when I came back for the Final4 in March, that was a great beer hangout!

There was (is?) an El Comal in Poway, is that one in NP related to this other location?.... I really like the one in Poway but haven’t been in years.

Good luck with that turkey!

Don’t tell anyone in the SD thread that I’m from Phoenix, otherwise people will not take my fish taco suggestions seriously. Sage and benbikes4beer have barely accepted it. McFate is indeed just a rebranded Fate due to a legal dispute with a brewery out of Colorado.

Other fun beer suggestions would be Angel’s Trumpet downtown, which is within walking distance to a big public market (blanking on the name right now) with good food.

Back to San Diego life, time for dinner at El comal and then wandering down to modern times and blacking out at toronado. And then up early to traeger some turkey!

I will always endorse Wren, it’s my favorite local brewery. Great draft list atm. While you’re over there, hit up Wandering Tortoise - amazing tap list and a stocked to-go cooler. Think Papago in the modern age. They are currently stocked with cans from Fate, AZ Wilderness, and a ton more. Plus Justin and Shay are great dudes.

You should be able to find some Tombstone cans, if not at Tortoise then at Kings Convenience (not far from the places above). They are worth seeking out - just got a fresh drop around town a week or so ago. Kings also has 50 taps, most of which are available for growlers/crowlers. Mickey is the man, as well.

Depending on where you are in Scottsdale (south?) you also aren’t far from Liquor Express - I don’t shop there often as I’m a bit further north but they have a great reputation as a top bottle shop in the area.

I personally am not a huge fan of Tower Station...while it’s worth a try and I give them props for being the first AZ brewery to break the mold with the 16oz hazy-ish IPA can a couple of years ago, there are much better options you can find these days imo.

I will always endorse Wren, it’s my favorite local brewery

are you part of Wren House saguaro society? just wondering if you feel it is worth it, reading that bottles aren't included in the membership

i'm part of tombstone's but I am a little underwhelmed

Thank you! Any details which could be shared?

only what's from the facebook page. I am not currently a member
https://www.facebook.com/saguarosociety/

I didn't realize bottles aren't included in the membership. so now i'm stuck in between deciding whether I want to rejoin Tombstone for guaranteed bottles that, up to this point, really haven't done a whole lot for me; and/or join wren house to spend more for less quantity

are you part of Wren House saguaro society? just wondering if you feel it is worth it, reading that bottles aren't included in the membership

i'm part of tombstone's but I am a little underwhelmed

Yes, I am a member and I plan to rejoin. SS went through some growing pains, as any first-year club usually does, but I know they will improve upon them in 2018.

Once common issue people have is the fact that no bottles are included in the membership. While it’s certainly a valid concern, I think people miss the fact that Wren is still working to get their feet off the ground. AZ is a tough market to succeed in – we don’t have the same number of craft fanatics as in larger metro areas – and the bigger point of this club is to help Wren grow their barrel program and business, IMO. The membership fee is mainly getting invested back into the business to support this. I have no problem supporting them as I believe they make the best beer in the area. I don’t think $150 is a bad price for early access to all public releases, exclusive access to member-only bottles/cans (which have all been fantastic, btw), included swag, discount in the tasting room, etc. I do think that locals will get a greater benefit out of the membership but I know there’s currently some out-of-staters, too.

TL;DR: this club isn’t for everyone.

I’ll post details of the 2018 membership below.

Wren House Brewing is excited to open our 2nd annual enrollment to our barrel club, The Saguaro Society!

We would dare to say that the 2017 Saguaro Society has been a huge success and while we were busy bottling/canning member releases, we put even more delicious brews into barrels for 2018! You can expect to see variants of Who Hit John, Pie Thief, Olmec, and NOJO in a wide variety of barrels including Apple Brandy, Bourbon, Rum, Mead and more!

We are opening the 2018 Saguaro Society to 200 members who will gain exclusive access to our limited release beers, VIP access to our public release beers, Society-only events and merchandise, and an unlimited 15% discount on draft beer and merchandise in our taproom.

EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO SOCIETY RELEASES

Society releases are our most limited quantity releases, usually barrel-aged in no more than a few barrels. All quantity to be sold is initially allocated to Society Members only. Members or their proxies have one month to come into the taproom to purchase and pickup these releases. Any unclaimed allocations at the end of the month are added to our public taproom cellar list for onsite consumption

Currently in Barrels (more to come & subject to change!)
  • Pie Thief / Pumpkin Wheat Wine -- Wheat Whiskey Barrels
  • Pecan Pie Thief / Wheat Wine -- Whiskey Barrels
  • Who Hit John / Imperial Porter -- Bourbon Barrels
  • Olmec / Mexican Mole Stout -- Various Barrels
  • Highwayman / Barleywine -- Heaven Hill Whiskey Barrels
  • Raisin Beer / Barleywine -- Various Barrels
  • Lady Banks / Hibiscus Rose Gose -- Red/White Chateau Tumbleweed Wine Barrels
  • NOJO / Imperial Stout -- Bourbon Barrel
  • Unnamed / Imperial Coconut Stout -- Rum Barrels
  • And more beers aged in local mead barrels and local whiskey barrels to be announced in 2018...
VIP ACCESS TO PUBLIC RELEASES (NEW FOR 2018!)
Public releases are larger quantity releases of non-barrel-aged Wren House beers in cans or bottles. This members-only benefit allows pre-ordering before every public release and a one week window for the member or proxy to come into the taproom to pickup their purchase. Think of this as a concierge service to give you the option to bypass release day madness.

TAPROOM DISCOUNT
Your membership card gives you unlimited 15% off draft beer and crowlers/growlers in the taproom and merchandise purchased in the taproom. This one is big if you plan on making Wren House your 2nd home in 2018!

SWAG & OTHER BENEFITS:
  • Access to Society only events and opportunities. Stay tuned for our January Society launch party where we will be tapping an array of limited release beers
  • Option to name a proxy to act on your behalf for the purposes of picking up beers in the taproom
  • First opportunity to renew membership for 2019, including any additional tiers or add-ons
  • Society Swag included in the price of membership:
    • Two Society Glasses
    • Society Y-opener
    • Insulated 4 bottle carrier
    • Membership Card

Yes, I am a member and I plan to rejoin. SS went through some growing pains, as any first-year club usually does, but I know they will improve upon them in 2018.

Once common issue people have is the fact that no bottles are included in the membership. While it’s certainly a valid concern, I think people miss the fact that Wren is still working to get their feet off the ground. AZ is a tough market to succeed in – we don’t have the same number of craft fanatics as in larger metro areas – and the bigger point of this club is to help Wren grow their barrel program and business, IMO. The membership fee is mainly getting invested back into the business to support this. I have no problem supporting them as I believe they make the best beer in the area. I don’t think $150 is a bad price for early access to all public releases, exclusive access to member-only bottles/cans (which have all been fantastic, btw), included swag, discount in the tasting room, etc. I do think that locals will get a greater benefit out of the membership but I know there’s currently some out-of-staters, too.

TL;DR: this club isn’t for everyone.

I’ll post details of the 2018 membership below.

I don't know, i'm so torn on it. I'm really opposed to paying just for status.

using tombstone again, even if they cut bottles in half for subjectively 'better' quality, you'd still be getting bottles

using tombstone again, even if they cut bottles in half for subjectively 'better' quality, you'd still be getting bottles
Ok so I'm biased but a couple things: it's not just status. Early access and long pickup windows to every release adds considerable overhead to our side and allows for ultimate flexibility on your end since the #1 issue I've heard before we started doing this was "I can't make the release". I haven't heard of any club that does this. Member only releases means you get access to beers no one else does. Predation, Beeline, Grand Cru, etc. Yes you can trade for it but again this is providing a service so you don't have to go through all that work.

Completely understand your point of view, which is what I’m getting at with the “not for everyone” comment. For me, it’s not about status, it’s about supporting a brewery I dig...the plus is getting all the perks of being a member. I work ~5 minutes from Wren so it’s also a convenience thing vs. having to drive 3 hours to Tombstone, as an example.

Again using Tombstone as an example...my opinion is that their non-hop releases have been okay, at best, so I don’t personally see value in spending more money for a club in which there’s included bottles but I’m not that excited to drink them. Not trying to knock them - again, just my opinion for comparison’s sake.

The best part of all this is that we’re even having this conversation...AZ has come a long way from even a couple of years ago.

Ok so I'm biased but a couple things: it's not just status. Early access and long pickup windows to every release adds considerable overhead to our side and allows for ultimate flexibility on your end since the #1 issue I've heard before we started doing this was "I can't make the release". I haven't heard of any club that does this. Member only releases means you get access to beers no one else does. Predation, Beeline, Grand Cru, etc. Yes you can trade for it but again this is providing a service so you don't have to go through all that work.

to greenhorn point, it isn't for everyone and it might include me. I haven't ever waited in line for a release anywhere, so being able to bypass something I don't do isn't really a benefit that appeals to me. well, actually I waited an hour at total wine for bcbs, but only because I thought they opened an hour before they did

Again using Tombstone as an example...my opinion is that their non-hop releases have been okay, at best, so I don’t personally see value in spending more money for a club in which there’s included bottles but I’m not that excited to drink them. Not trying to knock them - again, just my opinion for comparison’s sake.

i'm not really trying to defend tombstone either, completely agree about the hoppy stuff. the barrel-aged stouts and barleywines have had their various issues. historic, unfortunately, is dropping membership to their barrel program. their sours are good

greenhorn said:
The best part of all this is that we’re even having this conversation...AZ has come a long way from even a couple of years ago.

totally

Headed to Phoenix for the next week or so for christmas family shenanigans. Going to check out Wren House on my way into town tomorrow. Any particular beers to check out there? Looks like a few IPAs on tap as well as a mixed fermentation saison that are all worth drinking.

Swirl is still on (chocolate + vanilla imperial stout) and if you're into coffee stouts, Jomax is a must. There is a special Saguaro Society can coming out tomorrow thats a blend of a bunch of bourbon barreled beers. PM me your info and I'll set one behind the bar

Swirl is still on (chocolate + vanilla imperial stout) and if you're into coffee stouts, Jomax is a must. There is a special Saguaro Society can coming out tomorrow thats a blend of a bunch of bourbon barreled beers. PM me your info and I'll set one behind the bar
Incredibly generous, thank you so much!!

Back