Official Maryland Big Brew Day 2008 Info 2/23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
So I have a little bit of time in the office for once where I can start to put this all together.

Maryland Big Brew Day '08 is Feb 23rd starting at 11am!

First of all, here is the list of brewers showing up. After I get the RSVP PM, I'll give you my address and cell number in case there are any issues.
  • 98EXL & SWMBO
  • claphamsa
  • DraconianHand & SWMBO
  • Kevin Dean
  • balto charlie
  • jezter6 & Roomate
  • CallMeZoot
  • old_townie - possible
  • sak3358 - w/buddy (newbs ;))
  • flytact - coming late?
  • sak3358
  • SewerRanger

What to bring:
  • Yourself and others (but let me us know for planning purposes)
  • 1 6.5 gallon carboy with airlock of your choice
  • A bunch of your own homebrew for us to try...if ya keg, oh well, guess you aren't bringing any, but some good beer is nice anyway :)
  • really as much as you want to....

Here is the what each person can provide list:
98EXL & SWMBO
  1. 2, maybe 3 propane tanks
  2. 10 gallon mash tun
  3. water (duh)
  4. table, chairs, garage/driveway
  5. 7.5 gallon kettle (but it may be toast)
  6. and all the 'other' crap, spoons, auto-siphon, etc

Kevin Dean
  1. 1x - 7.5 gallon aluminum kettle (ugly)
  2. 1x - Propane burner
  3. 1x - 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler mash tun
  4. 1x - Barley Crusher
  5. 1x - 50ft copper immersion chiller
  6. Various additional things (bottle for adding water, mash temp probe, over-the-side kettle thermometer, spoons, auto-siphon et cetera)
  7. Camera

jezter6
  1. 2 - 15 gallon brewpots (enough to make 10 batches in each)
  2. 1 - 10 gallon Mash Tun
  3. 2 - Burners
  4. 1 - CFC

CallMeZoot
  1. 1 -Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer
  2. 1 -7.5 Gallon Stockpot
  3. 1 -5 Gallon Stockpot
  4. 1 -10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT (on its maiden brewage)
  5. 1 -Copper Immersion Chiller (small, maybe 25'?)

DraconianHand & SWMBO
  1. 2 25' IC's
  2. 5 gallon cooler MLT

old_townie
  1. 28 gallon pot
  2. 10 gal cooler-tun
  3. cracker-jack propane burner

If you guys can pack up a lot of the brewery (within reason) I encourage you to do so, I know I would, just so I have all of my stuff on hand, so it was obvious on how to do it.

Signature link updated. :)

I'll bring on more piece of equipment: a camera. Just warning you all now!

Any ideas on what to brew?

claphamsa: nah, don't even bother, just bring yer carboy and airlock :) (don't forget beers)
jezter: updated (I know he'd be coming, but just never wrote it down)
Kev: updated

As for food...if you want to bring some, by all means, knock yourself out. Once again, when I do plan things, I am kinda a nazi, so let us all know

As for what to brew, I'm just going to throw this out there:

IPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

98EXL said:
claphamsa: nah, don't even bother, just bring yer carboy and airlock :) (don't forget beers)
jezter: updated (I know he'd be coming, but just never wrote it down)
Kev: updated

As for food...if you want to bring some, by all means, knock yourself out. Once again, when I do plan things, I am kinda a nazi, so let us all know

As for what to brew, I'm just going to throw this out there:

IPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my dream is in a year or so being good enough to try and brew a victory hop devil clone......

And on another note, im thinking my apfelwine will be done on Feb 22 :D

claphamsa said:
my dream is in a year or so being good enough to try and brew a victory hop devil clone......

And on another note, im thinking my apfelwine will be done on Feb 22 :D

in a year, try it now!

I have plenty of apfelwien on hand too! Sweet and not so sweet versions

mine is very dry. i back loaded it with lactose, and its good.... but i wont do that again.......

I think to try a reasonable clone ill need to be in all grain........ and i dont even have the stuff to do that yet. but thats the goal! mmm hops!

I'm not "into" hoppy beers, but an IPA to bottle up and savor is certainly on my list. I suppose that would be a good day to do it!

Don't forget, we don't need just ONE recipe.

If enough people show that we do 2 rounds of brewing, that's at least 4 possible recipes and 20 gallons. Not including any 3rd burner and what batches can be done in those...

I can bring 2 propane tanks if needed. I keg and shall either bring a keg or try filling some growlers. There's a post somewhere on this board on filling bottles from a keg w/out a beer gun. We'll see. You guys can be my guinea pigs.
Why don't you think kegs can make the trip? I have a 5lb CO2 tank(light) and a bucket of ice w/ beer. It might be shook up a little:)

I'll bring some food. I'll let you know later, when we have a better head count. Let me think about it.

I like the idea about an IPA. I assume we will be doing 2-10 gallon batches, no? So one can be an IPA and someone(jetzer?) mentioned an ale recipe. I like most beers, not fond of wheat beers but I'll drink 'em. Or we can also pick 2 beer styles each then pick the 2 with the highest vote count.

What about the grains and such? My thoughts: One person buys everything and we all pitch in $$. We can go LHBS or mail order and ship to 98s house. Once styles and recipes are know we should get the supplies especially hops. Supplies are dwindly. I have some if needed.

Since I have never AG brewed NOR brewed in a group setting my ideas might be worthless. So feel free to discard them. later Charlie

jezter6 said:
Don't forget, we don't need just ONE recipe.

If enough people show that we do 2 rounds of brewing, that's at least 4 possible recipes and 20 gallons. Not including any 3rd burner and what batches can be done in those...

4 Batches, wow!! are we doing 5 gallon batches?? 4 recipes and 20 gallons seem to indicate this or I am :confused:

I can do 2, 10 gallon batches at a time.

If we mash a second set of recipes while the first 2 are boiling, we can concievably do another 2 batches of 10 gallons.

2 pots at a time x 10 gallons each is 20 gallons
2 rounds of brewing x 20 gallons is 40 gallons.

That's 8 people that go home with 5 gallons!!!

That's if we can't get a 3rd burner going on the side to do a couple of 5 gallon batches while we're working on the big boys. :)

I'd be down for feb 23 after checking with the boss.
I've got a 28 gallon pot, 10 gal cooler-tun, and a cracker-jack propane burner... although i fear that if i showed up with it i would get laughed at...

holy POT!!! I haven't seen that much pot since my last Kid Rock concert!!

It would add a lot of time to GET to a boil, but damn...we could do 20 gallon batches in that beyotch!!!

old_townie said:
I'd be down for feb 23 after checking with the boss.
I've got a 28 gallon pot, 10 gal cooler-tun, and a cracker-jack propane burner... although i fear that if i showed up with it i would get laughed at...
jealous!!!!!

OK, checked my schedule and my son has a basketball game at noon. That puts me at the brew fest no earlier than 2:00. While I don't think I'll be able to partake in any brewing, I'd be happy to start a 2000ml batch of yeast that can be used on two batches. It's an Irish Ale that I'm harvesting for some bitter, stout and a 2-Hearted clone.

Let me know.

Oh, I can bring a funky chiller as well.

I have my first (ever) batch of Munich Helles in secondary now. Don't think it will be ready but I would like to get together and talk with the group and learn some new ideas. I live in the Crofton area. Let me know the details please.

DraconianHand said:
Anyone interested in trying Maui Brewing Company's CoCoNut Porter?

I'm thinking your shopping day went well and I think I can speak for the group, yes we will like to try it. I just sampled an IPA from my keg. My first draft:rockin: Needs a little more conditioning but not to shabby, decent nose. Not overpowering hops but they are there for sure(amarillo) I was hoping to bring it to MD brew day but It will have to survive a ski weekend or 2 before MD brew. I can't guarantee it. I have an English ale that just went into a secondary and will be kegged in 1-2 weeks so it might be good to go. Charlie

sak3358 said:
I have my first (ever) batch of Munich Helles in secondary now. Don't think it will be ready but I would like to get together and talk with the group and learn some new ideas. I live in the Crofton area. Let me know the details please.

Great, It might be ready unless you're lagering at cold temps.

balto charlie said:
I'm thinking your shopping day went well and I think I can speak for the group, yes we will like to try it.

Nah, never got to shopping. A friend of mine brought me a 6 pack of CoCoNuT Porter from Hawaii (you can't get it on the mainland).

I'll be bringing a couple of cans to MDBBD so they everyone can get a chance to try it.

DraconianHand said:
Nah, never got to shopping. A friend of mine brought me a 6 pack of CoCoNuT Porter from Hawaii (you can't get it on the mainland).

I'll be bringing a couple of cans to MDBBD so they everyone can get a chance to try it.

It's alway hard "NOT" to drink the last few.

sak3358 said:

you're about 20 mins from me.

The BrewDay is on February 23rd, starting around 11ish

So we have concluded we can brew a bunch of beer!

I don't care if we order things online (and get shipped to my house) or from Annapolis Homebrew which is right around the corner from me. However, I think it would be best to order online, and I'll go get the Wyeast from there to make wicked starters with. ( I don't trust yeast in the mail)

Looks like we'll have 15 or so for brewing, with 10-11 carboys going home with beer, meaning we hare going to have to brew somewhere near 60 gallons of beer.

I do like the idea of doing two sessions of brewing...that way for people who may be coming late, they can be apart of at least 1 if not 1.5 batches of brew.

Even if you think you are going to just watch, at least bring a carboy to take some beer home in! That's where I got the 10-11 carboy count from.

ok, so what have I missed? I've been sick for a few days, and I want to make sure I got everything from PM's and replies covered in the first post and here

I recommend we do some Ed Wort's Haus Ale, as it's the standard 'First AG' batch for the boards (that, and I haven't done any yet).

Whatever we do, we should get on the recipes ASAP, as we need to get hops and pending some suppliers short supply or order limits - we may have to get them from multiple places.

Oh, and 98 - we're thinking about doing a 'mobile mash.' We'll mash in up at our place, then pop the cooler into the truck and drive down. Should be just at the right time to sparge, if you can get sparge water ready for our arrival. :)

jezter6 said:
I recommend we do some Ed Wort's Haus Ale, as it's the standard 'First AG' batch for the boards (that, and I haven't done any yet).

Whatever we do, we should get on the recipes ASAP, as we need to get hops and pending some suppliers short supply or order limits - we may have to get them from multiple places.

Oh, and 98 - we're thinking about doing a 'mobile mash.' We'll mash in up at our place, then pop the cooler into the truck and drive down. Should be just at the right time to sparge, if you can get sparge water ready for our arrival. :)

I second the Haus Ale, I haven't done that either :D

mobile mash, hmm, that would be killer for doing a lot of batches that day, it would help out tons of getting 10 gallons off quick!

Did we decide what to brew? there was lots of initial support for an IPA.... and we have lots of capacity, so we can do at least 2 right?

I will put in a vote for a nut brown ale. (I already put in a vote for the IPA). Consider my vote a hanging shad...remember those.
Those of you that are AG brewers need to do the recipes. Or us non AG guys can scour this site for some. I'm getting pumped.

Mobile M.A.S.H. gotta love the idea. If this happens then maybe we should ship part of the order to jetzer...or all of it.

Orfy: flights are cheap this time of year.

Does anyone have a recipe they've done a few times and would like to brew with us? I'd be happy to do my Irish Red (recipe in database), as it's always been a big hit.

On second thought about the different brews we make. People should state what they want to take home and we can go from there. If 4 people want IPA then we make a double batch of them. We can make 2 different IPA recipes though. Change the hops or malt etc. Just a thought.

My votes would be for:

1.) IPA
2.) Some kind of flavored Stout -- I had a Cappucino Stout the other day and it was amazing

I'll probably still be an AG newb though, so I'll go with whatever the experts want to brew. (I'll be trying a Partial Mash sometime between now and then to make sure my new MLT works).

chris.

balto charlie said:
On second thought about the different brews we make. People should state what they want to take home and we can go from there. If 4 people want IPA then we make a double batch of them. We can make 2 different IPA recipes though. Change the hops or malt etc. Just a thought.
this seems logical to me....

So a fun game is to read all these posts and try to keep track of what everyone wants to brew. It made me dizzy. Good thing I relaxed, didn't worry and had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone brewed cracker jack style with dry "Ale" yeast. OH well.

So,
How about a 15 Gallon Batch of Ed Wort's Pale Ale
and 2 5 gallon batches of IPA
and 1 5 gallon batch of "Surprise" something unique that each of us would be afraid to brew on our own.

IN addition to bringing carboys, we should bring 1 gallon jugs, or such that would make it easier to split up a normal 5 gallon batch.

Back