Official HBT Weight loss thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I know this thread is 3 years old, but how's the weight loss going. I am at my all time biggest. 205# My hope is to brew more sessions (that'll surely cut calories) and get off my ass once in awhile. We'll see how it goes.

Nearly a year later and I'm at 201 lbs. Now much in the way of progress :(

And here I am trying to GAIN weight....

I've always been a skinny dude. I've been hitting the gym pretty hard the last few months and put on about 15 lbs of muscle, would like to put on at least 15 more.

I am down to 360 lbs. My all time high was 435. I am 6'6" so I do not look as heavy as I am. Lost it through Paleo. My weakness is beer. I love good beer and beer is not at all Paleo friendly. I still have a long way to go.

Mark

I lost 125-ish lbs very rapidly using "divorce" roughly 15 years ago.
I have kept that weight off but last i had seen it, it was closer to 225 now.

On a serious note, the magic secret is to move more and eat right. It can be done & yes it can be a ***** but tenacity pays off.

I posted here originally in 2008. Took me about five years to actually DO anything to lose some weight, but I started running a couple years ago. Lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40 pounds; not entirely sure what my high-water mark was, so it's hard to know for sure. Try not to be stupid on the food side, too. But yeah, it's simpler than the people selling books want you to believe; move around a bit and don't be an idiot when it comes to eating.

I'm sadly at -15lbs towards my goal. After I return from three days of walking and looking at rusty car parts i'll hop back on the band wagon.

Really wish i hated eating.

I was up to 225 and dropped to 185lb couple years ago then a 2 week vacation in Hawaii where I ate and drank everything. I went up to 110lb. Now I'm 190lb and maintain pretty well with chicken and salad type food during the week along with 3-4 days at the gym then I don't feel so bad about indulging on the weekends

Down 16 pounds since GABF, 34 more to go. Hopefully another 20 will be off by mid-november. I'm in the gym 4 days a week doing very heavy lifting, but I still need to make myself walk a couple miles a day. Drinking beer twice a month until I hit my goal.

It's a weird feeling trying to lose weight at this point as the past 4 years I've been chasing being as strong as possible and competing in strongman and powerlifting. The more you eat, the stronger you get. But I was getting to the point where I couldn't go hiking with my fiance without getting winded on relatively easy hikes. Sure, I could pull a semi truck or press a keg filled with sand overhead but my quality of life was sucking.

So yeah, here I am, brewing up a storm and not letting myself drink it very often. I'll make it though. I lost 150 pounds in a year back in 2008, I know I can do it again, I just have to get out of my own head and stick to the diet plan.

Diets are the worst, esp. for a "meat & potatoes" person. I don't like many vegetables (they just plain taste bad to me) and the few I do eat, I get so tired of because it's all I will eat. Now, I barely like any vegetables at all.

My diet sucks.

Diets are the worst, esp. for a "meat & potatoes" person. I don't like many vegetables (they just plain taste bad to me) and the few I do eat, I get so tired of because it's all I will eat. Now, I barely like any vegetables at all.

My diet sucks.

I'm lucky, in that I'm a "meat & vegetables" person. I'll rip through a steak and a plate of asparagus like nobody's business, and leave the mashed potatoes sitting on the plate unloved.

Beer is the bulk of my carb intake. Maybe some pizza too. But not a lot of pasta or potatoes.

I sit at my desk all day, high stress job, don't exercise, eat like crap and drink way too much. Yeah...I need to make some changes. I have lost about 20lbs by eliminating most fast food from my diet and watching my portions. No doubt I would drop it much faster if I threw in more exercise and cut my carbs in half.

Anyone still around on this thread? It's old, but it's the "OFFICIAL" one, so it seems silly to start a new one.

Anyways, I started on a diet again after a really rough last few months, and am hoping to get in shape before volleyball season starts.

Back