Office water jug as better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you can use the 5 gallon water jugs that are used for an office water cooler as a better bottle/carboy substitute? I'm assuming that you can, but just want to know if anybody's tried this. Thanks for your help.

Only if it is PET plastic. Look for a <1> or <2> recycle indicator on the bottle. Otherwise no.

I found some <1> buckets at local Lowes. 5 gal though, so not quite big enough for a primary either.

Check the bottom of the water bottle and buckets for a little recycling arrow triangle with a number in the center of the triangle and letters below the triangle. If they say HDPE 1, HDPE 2 or PETE 1 on the bottom they are good for brewing. If they have any other numbers like 3-7 on the bottom, put them back they are not worth brewing with.
Most big water bottles have a OTHER 7 on the bottom of them but more and more water suppliers are switching over to the PETE 1 plastics, probably due to the whole BPA chemical in plastic bottles is bad for your health. (why everyone is now sporting a nice shiny stainless steel water bottle at the gym instead of the plastic ones)

The 5 gallon buckets are too small for primary fermentors (unless you do smaller batches) but they do make good secondary vessels for dry hopping or additions.
Some will argue that the dye they use to color the buckets will leech into your brew affecting the taste. If you are worried about that, I suggest going with white buckets/lids for Hardware Hank or Ace Hardware. Both of these are white with their logo painted on the front and are located in the painting department.

If you are looking for bigger size of buckets you can try US Plastics dot com. They have quite a lot from food grade to medical grade to ag grade plastic items. Not sure of their prices but you might score a deal if you buy in bulk, like 10 items or more.

Just my two cents
Redbeard5289

i've heard it's ok for 3-5 days secondary, like if you're doing a fruit in a secondary, but i can't guarantee jack. just what i heard

I get these bottles at home depot and use them as my brewwater. They do have #7 on the bottom which is just the category of "other". I take the empty ones back and exchange them for full ones when need be. Part of the other reason I do this is to have some emergency water in the basement, and the stock gets rotated by brewing beer with it.

It will work for a batch of around 4 gallons or so, but I wouldn't suggest it. Stick with food grade plastic or glass if you can. IMO it is not worth risking your brew. Spending the $12-15 on a bucket and lid is cheap and easy insurance for your brews. The more you use it, the more you spread the cost and can justify it.

Back