Off gassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
After a month still pushing up fermentor. Is this off gassing or is an infection possible? Last gravity two weeks ago was 1.005.

More than likely just off gassing. Changes in temperature, house vibrations, changes in barometric pressure, the cat brush against the fermenter, and countless other things can cause co2 to rise out of the beer.

More than likely just off gassing. Changes in temperature, house vibrations, changes in barometric pressure, the cat brush against the fermenter, and countless other things can cause co2 to rise out of the beer.

+1, there are numerous other things that affect fermentation, some of which are out of our control, RDWHAHB time.:tank:

More than likely just off gassing. Changes in temperature, house vibrations, changes in barometric pressure, the cat brush against the fermenter

First of all, agreed. They're probably right.

But to get a little deeper into it, you didn't provide much info.

What kind of beer was it? (recipe?) What yeast? How long has it been fermenting? 1.005 is pretty low for most beers unless it was a saison or something...

Recipe for and ESB styled beer. yet yeast washing was not correct, had no life in started after fourteen hours so I added yeast from previous brew, from bottle, Irish Ale in a coffee stout, the rest is in recipe. Love to hear some comments.

5 lbs 5 oz Pale Malt
4 oz Carmamel 20
4 oz Munich
2 oz Roasted Barley

Mash 155 for one hour
Mash out 170 for ten minutes

.5 oz Brewer’s gold 60 min.
.5 oz Brewer’s gold 30 min
.5 oz Northern brewer flame out

Northwest Ale yeast third generation. (did not wash yeast right. After twelve hours starter no sign of life. Re pitched with irish ale from bottle of espresso stout.)

New starter was ready in eight hours. pitched into wort. Fermentation in ten hours, 24 hours still fermenting three days. Huge yeast cake. Continued raised airlock. 1.005 at two weeks. Four weeks still raised air lock.

Yeah like they said, probably just off gassing :)

I'd check calibration on my thermometer and hydrometer just to make sure though, mashing at 155 it doesn't seem (to me) like it should have attenuated that far down. Could be wrong though!

That has happened to me once...infection.

Turns out a fruit fly got into the starter. I didn't know it until it happened again (saw the little devil) and I began to put a stocking over the tin foil of the starter (I use an aquarium pump).

How did you distinguish that the batch was infected? Where there signs besides the low gravity and continued fermentation? If gravity has held was planning on bottling.

+1, there are numerous other things that affect fermentation, some of which are out of our control, RDWHAHB time.:tank:

It's not about fermentation, it's about airlock bubbling...That's NOT the same thing. More than likely his fermentation is LONG finished....This is just about his airlock. Which people put too much concern into what it does or doesn't do.

It's not about fermentation, it's about airlock bubbling...That's NOT the same thing. More than likely his fermentation is LONG finished....This is just about his airlock. Which people put too much concern into what it does or doesn't do.

Correct of course, I lost my bearings in a flurry of non-airlock watching, possible infection, is my yeast dead postings.
I'd wager this ESB is ready to package, carry-on.:mug:

It is just the first time I have seen this. All other brews about two week period airlock drops and that is that. Never seen it continue to rise.

Bottled. still at 1.005 but when I put hydrometer in water it read about.005 off. Giving a final gravity at about 1.010. taste was great, actually excited about this beer, very little off flavor (I ferment kind of warm due to location and space). Let us hop the bottles dont pop.

Back