Off flavors from priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kybar

Reaction score
I just finished a brown ale. Made 10 gallons. Kegged half and bottled half. The legged beer tastes fine but the bottled beer tastes strongly of Acetaldehyde almost like apple juice after 3 weeks in the bottle. I used 5oz priming sugar to bottle. But I have never had this issue before. Any other possible causes?

Could be your yeast. I know some folks have complained that certain British strains (especially wlp002/wyeast 1968 aka Fuller's) respond poorly to the pressurized fermentation during bottling. I personally used wlp002 for a bottled porter once and the beer was great at 2 weeks but started to develop off flavors by week 4. Not exactly like apple juice but definitely not pleasant.

Def not the priming sugar. Carbonation lifts aromas & flavors up to where we can taste/smell them. I'd say it was ferment temps &/or too much sugar added to the brew itself. Did you make a priming solution out of the sugar? Or just stir it in?

anything i do with english yeast needs to mellow 4+ weeks in the bottle. seems to be just me though.

Priming solution 5oz in about 5 cups water. Stirred it in. But the beer I put in the keg tastes fine. Guess I'll just have to wait it out

Back