off flavor in blackberry mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1272

Reaction score
I have a batch of blackberry mead that is about 6 months old. It has a bizarre aftertaste that reminds me of cherry robitussin. It has definitely mellowed since the last time I tasted it. Is this possibly a characteristic that will fade with age?

If you provide the recipe and process details, more-insightful commentary may follow.

sorry here are more details.

2 gallon batch;
7 pounds of clover honey
3 pounds of blackberries
2 gallons of water
2 tsp yeast nutrient

i combined water 6 pounds of honey and crushed blackberries in a 3 gallon carboy and let ferment until blackberries fell to bottom and fermentation was complete. I then racked off of fruit onto an additional pound of clover honey and let fermentation start back up. when fermentation was done I racked again to let it clear. The mead is now beautifully clear and I am ready to bottle it and let it age. The bouquet is very nice with hints of fruit and honey and the initial taste is very nice and smooth its just the cherry robitussin medicinal aftertaste that I would like to see gone.

Hey, I know that taste!! I have 2 gallons of cherry/vanilla mead in secondary right now that tastes just like cherry robitussin cough syrup. They are only 5 months young, so I still have high hopes for them. I expect after a year or two your mead will mellow well and be just like you want it. If it tastes great now, just think of how it will be later down the line.

I've not had that particular flavor develop with blackberries. I'm curious, how long did you leave it in with the berries before you racked it? And what temperature did you maintain for the fermentation?

The blackberries were in it for about a month or so, Its temperature is has been my house temperature probably in a range between between 60-74 since I started it.

The blackberries were in it for about a month or so, Its temperature is has been my house temperature probably in a range between between 60-74 since I started it.
Your off flavors are from you fermentation temps. You need to keep your temps lower, say 50F. The high temps will give off weird flavors from the yeast like medicine, paint thinner, band aids or plastic etc. Time doesn't fix it. Dump it and start over. It's better to do it right now than find out after a lot of work that time didn't help the problem.

I made the same mistake. Now my meads win many awards including best of show several times. Ferm temps will make a huge difference.

Good Luck

Your off flavors are from you fermentation temps. You need to keep your temps lower, say 50F. The high temps will give off weird flavors from the yeast like medicine, paint thinner, band aids or plastic etc.
A temperature of 74 F usually isn't a problem for Berry melomels, in the same fashion that red wines tolerate higher fermentation temps. I agree that cooler temps do generally produce better results, though you don't need to ferment at 50F (which few yeast strains will do). The mid 60s F works just fine for most wine yeast.

Usually fusel become a major problem in the mid-upper 70s, but that can be strain dependent.

Which yeast did you use Chris?

Time doesn't fix it. Dump it and start over. It's better to do it right now than find out after a lot of work that time didn't help the problem.

Egads! Don't do that. :eek:
With all due respect to dlester, there are some odors and flavors that cannot be cured (Brett, some heavy sulfur compounds, ethyl acetate, acetic acid) but most will fade with time, especially ones related to high temperature fermentation.

I am the king of Fusel alcohols (I live in South Florida). I can tell you I have 2 Mazer cups sitting on the shelf that were for batches fermented at 84F in my garage. So it is possible to ferment at high temps and get an excellent result, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

In your case, aging this batch may make a dramatic difference, and even if it doesn't you may still be able to blend it with other batches to produce something you'll be proud of. The single most important factor for successful meadcrafting is patience. I'd encourage you to give this batch some time.

Medsen

Egads! Don't do that. :eek:
With all due respect to dlester, there are some odors and flavors that cannot be cured (Brett, some heavy sulfur compounds, ethyl acetate, acetic acid) but most will fade with time, especially ones related to high temperature fermentation.

I agree with Medsen. My raspberry melomel tasted like cherry robitussin all he way up to ~9 months in the bottle. Now, after 2 years - it's heaven.

I used red star montrachet yeast.

Aha. That yeast can produce a lot of phenolic elements, and can get very medicinal at higher temps. A different yeast next time will probably prevent the issue, but have hope; aging should improve it a lot.

I used red star montrachet yeast. I dont plan on dumping it, It is currently bottled and corked I plan on putting it away for a year and see what becomes of it.

There you go... Montrachet is well loved for some things... Mead isn't one of them generally.... For your next batch - maybe consider D47 or EC1118 or 1116 or Sweet Mead....

I think you are well on the right track... Letting it sit for a while will cure most all ills... especially fusel and intense fruit/spice flavors.... All will be well if you just squirrel it away somewhere and forget about it for a year or 3....

Thanks

John

I can appreciate your argument. Yes, darker Mellomels hide the off flavors easier and some fade away over time. But, you'll never get rid of all off flavors. And, to a judge they will be detectable. What's worse is off flavors from a straight Mead. I don't think there is a single stain that will tolerate temps in the 70's, much less the 80's without crank'n out the funky off tastes.

I'm certaily victim to this problem. And, I have a berry Mellomel that tastes much better over several years, but it's not heavanly, and the off flavors are still detectable. Now that I have talked about it, I'm going to open another bottle to see how it is doing.

The "dumping" comment was made in haste, that would take away the learning part of the process. I'll take that one back.

Cheers

What's worse is off flavors from a straight Mead. I don't think there is a single stain that will tolerate temps in the 70's, much less the 80's without crank'n out the funky off tastes.

While generally speaking this is true, some yeast can produce great traditional meads even with high fermentation temps. D21 and K1V are a couple and I think there are probably a few more. They will go through a "medicinal phase" but can result in some great mead after enough aging (1-2 years).

While generally speaking this is true, some yeast can produce great traditional meads even with high fermentation temps. D21 and K1V are a couple and I think there are probably a few more. They will go through a "medicinal phase" but can result in some great mead after enough aging (1-2 years).
For argument sake, let's say your right, but how long does it take for the medicine taste take to mellow enough to drink? I have one that is 6 years old and is now drinkable. But, still has a slight medicine taste. This is hardly toleable for a Mead to take so long! We all want to enjoy a mead within a year or two, and taste good.

What's my point? For those that make the mistake of fermenting too high a temp. You got a long wait ahead before it is toleable enough to drink. Why not find out the perfect temp for your yeast ahead of time and ferment at that temp? Why? Because you can drink it sooner! Who wants to wait several years?

Cheers,

I agree with Medsen. My raspberry melomel tasted like cherry robitussin all he way up to ~9 months in the bottle. Now, after 2 years - it's heaven.

I also agree with Medsen. I recently bottled a big mixed berry mel that had this cough- syrupy favor that later disappeared(about 4 months)- and, it was fermented at 54F. I have done several low temp(54F) fermentations and they have all turned out pretty good, with one notable exception- a strawberry mel that was fermented with K1V yeast which finished with a very perfumy taste/aroma which was over the top and probably due to excessive ester production at the cool temp. The latter will stay in the keg until, hopefully, this flavor dissipates- otherwise I will trash it after a year. Unlike ale yeasts, some wine yeasts- notably K1V- actually make more esters at lower temps! So be careful about making a broad generalization that all 50F fermentations will make a better mead.

Back