Odells Isolation Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I have been search for a close recipe for Odells Isolation ale. I would like to brew it in time for mid december. All I can find is 1 recipe on liquid poets. Anyone have any luck brewing an isolation clone?

Looks like a reasonable recipe and it sounds like they got the info from the brewery, why not give it a try?

I am confused by the mash temp. I get the first part. Adding 169. 66 F water to the 72 F grain should get a msh temp of 154 F. But the mash out says 198 F is that the temp I am going to sparge at? It also says 10 min. I am guessing that after my first runnings I should fill the MLT with the 198 F water a few inches above the grain bed and let sit for 10 min before my vorlof and sparge... Does that make senese

Mash out is a step where you heat the mash up to ~170 (the recipe is aiming for 168) and hold it there for a short time (10 minutes) before starting to run off the first runnings (in this case they are adding 2 gallons of near boiling water to accomplish the task, but direct heat or a decoction are also options). This step helps to denature the enzymes and increase the amount of extract you are able to extract.

You can do a mash out or skip it, but there is no reason to do one on this batch if it isn’t part of your normal process.

Here is the recipe we are talking about if anyone else is interested: http://www.liquidpoets.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&p=5878

Thank you so much for your help. Now for a real stupid question. Do you always sparge at the same temp, or does that vary from recipe to recipe.
Again, thank you for your help.

Thank you so much for your help. Now for a real stupid question. Do you always sparge at the same temp, or does that vary from recipe to recipe.
Again, thank you for your help.

It depends on your technique. Sparge hot enough that the grain bed is ~170. If you mash out, that means sparging with water just above 170. If you don't mash out I tend to start my sparge ~190 and let it cool down once the grainbed gets up to temp.

This really isn't a recipe issue, it is more of a personal preferred technique thing.

Does anyone have this recipe, I really like this beer but the liquid poets link is dead. If you have it can you post it up on the forum?

Back