Odells 90 Schilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
So, my brother has sampled some of my home brews and he really loves them. He is wanting to buy ingredients to try to make a batch of his favorite beer, Odells 90 Schillings. I've been trying to find a clone for it but have only come up with one recipe that doesn't even sound right. Anyone have a clone recipe or any ideas/suggestions?

Here is the recipe. I ran it through the tastybrew calculator and it seems like it comes out both too strong and too hoppy. The odells website says it is 5.3% ABV and 27 IBU.

Ingredients and procedures for brewing 5 gallons of Odells 90 Shilling
(Extract Method)

1) Add 1 1/2 gallons of water to the brewing pot. Pour the crushed grains into a grain bag and tie the bag closed. Place the bag into the water and allow the grains to steep over medium heat (the water should be steamy, not boiling). After 30 minutes, remove the pot from the heat, remove and discard the grain bag.

Grains used in this recipe:

.50 lbs. Cara Pils
1.50 lbs. Crystal 60
.50 lbs. Chocolate

2) Pour the following malt extract(s) into the pot while stirring constantly. Return the pot to the heat and bring the contents of the pot, now called wort, to a boil.

Malt extract(s) used in this recipe:

6.00 lbs. Malt Syrup - Amber
1.00 lbs. Dry Malt - Light

3) The wort will boil for a total of 60 minutes during which time the following hops and other ingredients will be added to the boil.

At the start of the boil add the following BITTERING HOPS to boil for the entire 60 minutes:

1.00 ounce - Cascade

30 minutes from the end of the boil add the following FLAVOR HOPS:

1.00 ounce - Perle

minutes from the end of the boil add the following FLAVOR HOPS:

.50 ounce - Mount Hood

10 minutes from the end of the boil add the following AROMA HOPS:

.50 ounce - Mount Hood

Add the following other miscellaneous ingredients near the end of the boil:

15 minutes from the end of the boil add Irish Moss

I don't know anything aboout that particular beer but Scottish beers do not usually have any hops character so I think the late hops additions and use of Cascades is inappropriate.
Here is a link to a Scottish Ale I will be making soon
Jamil's Scottish 60/-
You could increase the gravity some but increasing the extract. Not sure this would be a clone but it should make a good malty beer.

Craig

Here's a link to a discussion on the Northern Brewer forums on 90 Schilling. One poster claims to have info direct from ODell on hops (Northern Brewer + Cascade) and malt bill.

Per this poster, the malt bill is around:

75% Pale ale malt
9% Munich malt
7% light crystal malt
5% wheat malt
3% caramalt
1% choc malt

With an OG of 1.054 and 27 IBU of hops. That should get a start on a recipe. I might just add this to my "someday" brewing list, although this time of year I'm thinking about witbier, kolsch, and hefe.

+1 on the JZ 60 schilling recipe. I did this 60 and it turned out killer. Just increase the base malt by 30%.

I love Odells 90 Shilling Scotish Ale. It has a nice creamy head and a smooth malty taste. I couldn't resist but to attempt the "Odells 90 Shilling" partial mash recipe from this thread last week. Although I'm kinda skeptical based on the bittering units. I did have to use Kent Goldings in place of Cascade since the LHBS was out (darn hop shortage). Other than that pretty true to the recipe. Hoping for good results. Will keep all posted.:mug:

Anyone have any insight on this one?

Well I tried the mini mash recipe and I was not too hoppy about the results. The beer has a bitter taste to it and does not resemble 90 Shilling in any way. I think I will use this batch to hand out to those beer loving free loaders at work! I think next time I will try the all grain version JDS suggested.

I toured the brewery about a month ago & cascade hops was all over the place, so that would be the ticket. I believe they also had some tet as well, but cascade was the main hop addition they used. I am going to try this one this weekend & will post my results shortly.

I did end up making this using the malt bill as stated above and the Northern Brewer bittering/Cascade finishing hops. It came out similar and very drinkable.

Back