Ode to the Yakima Magnum Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Over the course of the last year I have been experimenting with various high alpha hops for a general purpose bittering hop, I have tried the super high alpha hops like summit and columbus and they have worked well, I have even used chinook in lower gravity ales with some, fairly harsh bittering, success.

I have to give my nod to the americanized magnum hop for all purpose bittering. I have used this to bitter many, MANY styles of beer and it has been super clean and super smooth bittering all the way. I know many breweries like magic hat (columbus) and widmer (alchemy blend) rely on specific hops or blends for consistent bittering, I am thinking that if you haven't considered magnum, they are worth a shot. I know for a fact, that I will always have magnum in my freezer.

Do you think that there is a difference here, in terms of final flavor, between these and Warrior hops (another variety that is supposed to be very clean bittering)?

Do you think that there is a difference here, in terms of final flavor, between these and Warrior hops (another variety that is supposed to be very clean bittering)?

I have never had the warrior, but I can tell you that Magnums are very smooth and contribute little flavor and aroma when used for bittering. I recently used .50 oz at flameout in a bitter just to see if I could detect something from them.

Back