Odd taste after pasteurizing cider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daimyo2k

Reaction score
Hi all...

I just finished my first ever batch of hard cider. I split it into 2 batches, one was made into sparkling hard cider, the other was turned into apple-jack.

Everything turned out great, at first. Did a taste test after fermentation, everything tasted better than I expected. I bottled the sparkling cider for the carbonation/fermentation. I had one plastic soda battle filled as a test battle for pressure. When it was time, I pasteurized the bottles of sparkling cider and enjoyed a small glass of what was in the soda bottle. I was very happy with the product. However, after pasteurization and letting it sit for a few days, I opened a bottle for a taste test. Lots of carbonation! Then I took a sip, it didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste right, it definitely tasted different than the soda bottle which was by far better. The only way I can describe the odd taste is that it is almost metallic, that is the closest description I can give it, that was a few days ago. No way I am giving this stuff to friends or family. I left my apple jack in the milk jug I used to drain it from the ice and am afraid to transfer it to a bottle, it is a present and don't want to ruin the hard work, for the record, when I took the first sip, it was like God spoke to me and the angels sang my name =D SOOOO good!!

ANY thoughts on what that taste could have been from?? The bottles were sanitized with Star-san, pasteurized in 180 degree water and left for 30 minutes in the water, the water came 1-2" above the fluid line in the bottles. There is some sediment at the bottom of the bottles. The bottles have the lock-cap with the metal wire pull handle.

Any help would be great. Thanks =]

Thanks for the advice! I bet you're right. I know this might be a stupid question, but is there any way to get rid of the "bite"??

You may be able to pop the top to purge some of the CO2, then recap. Time and tasting will tell. But, I'm not sure you will be able to remove it.

Back