Odd Off Flavor - What Happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Reaction score
I bottled a Belgian Pale Ale last night, and the gravity sample was... interesting. I had taken a sample 2 weeks into fermentation and it was great - everything was in balance, no off flavors, and generally shaping up to be a great batch. However, yesterday (3 weeks post pitching) it was totally different - the hop presence was almost totally gone and the malt developed some oddly sweet tones and generally tastes "hollowed-out" (best I can describe it). I'm thinking that I oxidized it somehow (closer to sherry-like sweet flavors but not quite, no "wet cardboard"), but this could just be me overthinking it. Where does oxidation happen most often so I can avoid it next time, and will bottle conditioning help at all? Thanks!

Anytime you transfer you risk oxydation to an extent. Splashing as you rack can cause it. Also adding anything late in fermentation such as water or anything else that could introduce O2 would be a risk.

It may be hard to tell exactly what is going on until they carb up and condition a bit.

Oxidation is most likely to occur during racking. Also if you open it often and shake it that could oxidize it some. Not sure the problem is oxidation. I have a multiple grain amber ale I did that was same as yours stated excellent, but when it came to bottling it it was strangely sweet. Bottled it, left it for 3 weeks at 70 and 3 weeks at 44. Now it is better, it's a wheat beer and I find that I am not really a fan of wheat beers, I have made 2 and tried countless, they just don't do it for me. Rye beers on the other I like-- a lot.
So yes bottle conditioning will help, let it carb-up then store it cool and dark for several weeks, it should get better.
Good Luck

It's very hard to judge a beer when it's warm and uncarbed. It will almost always take on a new identity when it cold and fully carbed.

Oxidation is most likely to occur during racking. Also if you open it often and shake it that could oxidize it some. Not sure the problem is oxidation. I have a multiple grain amber ale I did that was same as yours stated excellent, but when it came to bottling it it was strangely sweet. Bottled it, left it for 3 weeks at 70 and 3 weeks at 44. Now it is better, it's a wheat beer and I find that I am not really a fan of wheat beers, I have made 2 and tried countless, they just don't do it for me. Rye beers on the other I like-- a lot.
So yes bottle conditioning will help, let it carb-up then store it cool and dark for several weeks, it should get better.
Good Luck

I'm glad to hear that you had a similar problem and that it ended up working out in the bottles - at this point it's bottled and ready to go so I might as well wait. I only opened the fermenter once during fermentation (2 week point to grab a sample) and hadn't done anything that I thought could oxidize it (no shaking or unnecessary movement), so the change in flavor was confusing. I'll post in a few weeks with the results.

It is hard to tell until the brew is all done. Belgian brews derive most of their flavor from the yeast and that flavor will change with time. Let it sit in the bottles and carb up, give it plenty of time and report back. I usually let my Belgians sit for 2 months before tasting them.

With Belgians even more patience than normal is required.

Declaring a brew undrinkable (assuming no infection) when moved from a primary to a secondary is like slicing into a half-baked (raw) turkey 2 hours before Thanksgiving dinner and commenting "this is crap". Let's all go out for dinner.

It's not done, till it's done. Brewing requires patience, patience and more patience.

I gave this answer in another thread with the same kind of theme here... my "brew tastes funny". It applies here as well. :)

I gave this answer in another thread with the same kind of theme here... my "brew tastes funny". It applies here as well. :)

Yeah, I just thought it was weird that it tasted perfect 2 weeks in and then one week later developed some funk. Nothing left to do but wait, forget about this one for a while, and see what it's doing in 2 months.

:mug:

Back